Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Guns
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Guns

wracket wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Cat500 wrote:
Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (inc suicide)
US = 10.2 (World Ranking 10)
Switzerland = 3.5 (World Ranking 21)

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (Homicide only)
US = 3.7 (World Ranking 14)
Switzerland = 0.52 (World Ranking 31)

Switzerland doesn't have an army. Therefore, their system isn't comparable. They also have a very high standard of living and crime is low. The number of people in Switzerland is so low it's like one large city. Again, not comparable.

Wasn't (s)he just responding to slushy's bogus claim about US and Switzerland being roughly on par in such metrics?

The US is not in the top ten firearm related death countries. It is not. This is also a absolute bogus claim. I see you got your faulty information from Wikipedia, which is where I got mine. Most western countries publish quality of life statistics on their official government websites. I've used this source for research.

Dec 21, 2012, 19:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Heard an NPR Fresh Air yesterday with someone who wrote a book about the rise of assault weapons in the US, and the NRA and gun manufacturers. I shouldn't have been surprised by it, but still was an eye opener about how they really created the market for them because gun sales were actually going down. So scary and despicable.

I didn't listen to the whole thing yet, just what I heard driving home from work, so I'll have to finish it.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/20/167694808/assault-style-weapons-in-the-civilian-market

Dec 21, 2012, 19:30

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

What's striking is how poor the worst offenders are, the USA excepted. The NRA must be on crack to not see the association between gun ownership and gun violence.

Dec 21, 2012, 19:47

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

From David Pajo's twitter...

"In 2008, America had 12,000 gun related murders. Japan had 11."

I personally don't think more gunz are the answer.

Dec 21, 2012, 22:54

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
From David Pajo's twitter...

"In 2008, America had 12,000 gun related murders. Japan had 11."

I personally don't think more gunz are the answer.

I think it's more complicated than that. Japan also does not have extreme inner city social collapse and racial tensions.

Also at times in their history, Japan has been a violent place , but back then they killed each other with swords.

Dec 21, 2012, 23:19

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Mexico, Columbia, Brazil, Honduras, South Africa, Sudan and another African nation...America isn't in the top Ten. Mexico is 1st with Juarez being the world's most violent city. Oh Russia.

Dec 22, 2012, 01:12

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Swiss Guard, oops.

Dec 22, 2012, 01:36

JS
JS
489 posts

Now, the NRA wants to put an armed policeman in every school in order to solve the problem...Ridiculous. One armed officer in a school might still get shot down by a mad shooter. One armer guard per CLASSROOM is the way to go: two birds with one stone: the classroom is safe and the guard gets educated...

Or else: a psychiatrist in every gun shop who would evaluate the mental health of every potential buyer...

Dec 22, 2012, 04:12

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

JS wrote:
Now, the NRA wants to put an armed policeman in every school in order to solve the problem...Ridiculous. One armed officer in a school might still get shot down by a mad shooter. One armer guard per CLASSROOM is the way to go: two birds with one stone: the classroom is safe and the guard gets educated...

Or else: a psychiatrist in every gun shop who would evaluate the mental health of every potential buyer...

This just in: McDonalds recommends Big Macs (and the pope speaks out against gay marriage in his Christmas message).

Dec 23, 2012, 05:11

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index