Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
God
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: God

I'll be in hell with the dolphins and the Hindus.

Jan 11, 2013, 00:11

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

lereostab wrote:
Sorry man, I wasn't doing time and never have thankfully.
I was in a pokey little bedsit in Southampton early January 1994 when I first heard how much Jesus loved me, and not long after that I became a Christian, not because I said some words or made a mental decision about it, but because I saw the full horror of the dark state of my soul and the sin that kept it a prisoner with lies and self righteousness, and I saw this terrifying fallen world with all it's greed, violence and awful suffering and my inability to do anything about it, and I realised that I would be held accountable for my life and the deeds I'd committed, I understood that nothing I did or said would save me from the light of God's true judgement so I cried out for him to save me as I could not save myself, and he did by allowing me to see the importance of the sacrifice of Jesus in my place and that when I simply turned to him in faith and asked for his forgiveness I received it fully, I now know that I have passed from judgement in to real life because of Jesus.
This isn't a matter of choice, it makes no difference what people say as they slag God off with their clever arguments and try to prove he doesn't exist, every man and woman will face judgement and outside of Christ will not have a leg to stand on, yes even Richard Dawkins will face judgement, bitterly.
Those last few moments before physical death occurs are when people finally realise they were wrong their whole lives as the full horror of the darkness and what lives inside of it comes to claim what belongs to it, Christ saves us from this horror forever.
Political correctness is evil as it tries to deny absolute truth, there is one absolute truth and that truth is that we need Jesus Christ to save us.
Ask and you will receive, God loves you very much and I hope you will see this fully one day soon.

If you want to get into this, at least it's in the thread called "God". But yeah a lot of what you write I find quite repellant. I am not saying I don't believe in god, and have respect for people who believe in god. I'm more of an agnostic, as I've written before. But some of what you say is so... ugh.

First about this statement, "face judgement and outside of Christ will not have a leg to stand on". Are you really that naive to not know of all the other religions in the world? Could you and the likes of you be any more self-involved not to understand the validity of other religions that don't have Jesus? It is so simplistic. But that brings me to my second point.

The whole being saved by something outside yourself, and how you couldn't do it yourself... I always find to be bull. Having the consequences for a bad life be explained by the simplistic heaven and hell scenario and being "saved" is a great motivator for some people. Weak individuals find comfort and ability to change because of something simple that they can understand. Or.. the person could have become a better person because of their own will to do so. Any reasons that help are fine, as long as they don't look at others and say what you're saying. Basically that "I will be saved, but you will not because your beliefs differ". Please, you always had the ability inside yourself to be a good person. The trappings of religion are just an easy way to explain things for certain people. It's just window dressing and sometimes, over our history, it hasn't always been a good thing.

Political correctness is evil. Boy that's a doozy.

Jan 11, 2013, 19:33

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Kazak wrote:
I'll be in hell with the dolphins and the Hindus.

I walked with Jesus and he did say, "Poor boy, you ain't comin' to me no way. You found heaven on Earth, gonna burn for your sins." Well I think I'll be in good company down there with all my friends.

Jan 11, 2013, 21:43

484 posts

You might like Jesus Was Way Cool by King Missile. "Jesus walked on the water, and swam on the land". So everyone who is not Christian is going to hell, or it is impossible for them to lead a meaningful and good life?

Jan 12, 2013, 01:50

484 posts

I like the scene in I Love Huckabees where she goes, "there's glass between us, you cant' deal with my infinite nature, can you?"

Jan 12, 2013, 01:54

484 posts

I love the whole idea of a tea ceremony. There's this text that's maybe 12,000 years old that describes all the steps and how to properly appreciate each of the 20 odd objects that are required for a proper tea ceremony.

Jan 12, 2013, 01:57

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

You say that you find a lot of what I said to be repellent, who said that it was supposed to be appealing? things that appeal or don't appeal to us are matters of the intellect and ego, I'm talking about the sick state of the human soul and it's need of salvation and the simple loving remedy that God has given for it, if you can't see the desperate lost state of your soul yet then of course you'll find God's message repellent, but it's pride that causes you to see it that way at the present time.
The biggest stumbling block is that people can't bear to be told that there is nothing good in and of themselves, and in answer to your question, no and absolutely no there was never the ability within me to be a good person, and besides good is so often just pride and self righteousness dressed up and blowing it's own trumpet albeit quietly sometimes, I'm talking more about life and death not good and evil, God is not adding up your good deeds and then weighing them against your bad deeds, if that was the case then life would be a ridiculous and pathetic contest of seeing who can be the best at everything, which sadly is how many people live, no, everyone is in the same boat and God offers his love and salvation through Jesus death and resurrection to all who simply see their need of it, regardless of how good or evil you may have been.
Again I say if you can't see your need of salvation at this present time and think that being a good person is what life's about then ok, of course God's message will not appeal to you, nevertheless I will continue to tell you that God loves you very much and that he has provided the way in which your soul can be saved for ever, so it's not about good and evil, it's not about going to church or praying lots or reading the scriptures every day, it's about one thing only, love, God created us in love, and we've wandered far from his loving care but he has made the way open for us to come home to the eternal bliss he always intended for his children.
God bless you, Joe

Jan 12, 2013, 16:33

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

The word Christian has been so misused, Jesus never referred to his followers as Christians, and unfortunately the word has become synonymous with right wing political Americans who in my opinion are some of the most repulsive people on the planet because they use God's name to achieve their stupid political ideals, which are as repulsive to God as they are to me, God hates no man or woman at all, he hates sin not sinners, he loves us all immensely and doesn't want anyone to die without knowing him, and the only way to know God is through faith in Jesus Christ, this is the only way God has given to humankind to come back in to relationship with him, other religions say they know but if you look deeply no other religion states so clearly what is wrong with the world and very clearly tells us what to do about it.
There is always a consequence for our actions, the consequence of refusing God's loving offer of salvation is to spend eternity separated from him, that is what hell is, eternity without love, peace, health, joy and truth because God is all those things, people argue that they can be good in what they perceive to be their own strength not realising where goodness originated and that they were made in God's image in the first place.
The arguments are endless and the confusion that results from these arguments leads people to believe all kinds of things about themselves, and when they see Christians taking political sides as is so popular in America they rightly are repulsed by this, again I say God hates no one but there is a very definite consequence of not responding to his offer of salvation, he gives us the choice.
The message is simple God loves you a whole lot and wants you to know the fullness of his amazing love, you can know this by simply believing the good news about Jesus Christ, I hope and pray that God draws you closer and closer to the truth of this, cheers, Joe

Jan 12, 2013, 19:40

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

lereostab wrote:
You say that you find a lot of what I said to be repellent, who said that it was supposed to be appealing? things that appeal or don't appeal to us are matters of the intellect and ego, I'm talking about the sick state of the human soul and it's need of salvation and the simple loving remedy that God has given for it, if you can't see the desperate lost state of your soul yet then of course you'll find God's message repellent, but it's pride that causes you to see it that way at the present time.

Yeah, no. I do not have any desperate lost state, and your stating that I do because I don't conform to your religious beliefs doesn't make it so. That's your ego talking, not mine. What I find repellant is the concept that some people think their religion is the only one that is really really real. The others just aren't going to cut it because they don't have the particular prophet they do.

lereostab wrote:
The word Christian has been so misused, Jesus never referred to his followers as Christians, and unfortunately the word has become synonymous with right wing political Americans who in my opinion are some of the most repulsive people on the planet because they use God's name to achieve their stupid political ideals, which are as repulsive to God as they are to me, God hates no man or woman at all, he hates sin not sinners, he loves us all immensely and doesn't want anyone to die without knowing him, and the only way to know God is through faith in Jesus Christ, this is the only way God has given to humankind to come back in to relationship with him, other religions say they know but if you look deeply no other religion states so clearly what is wrong with the world and very clearly tells us what to do about it.

I think your heart is in the right place, but your view of religion doesn't differ very much from the political people repulsive to you. They choose to act out their mentality about their religion to promote other views. I think politically you and I are not that far apart. But those people we both don't agree with also think their own prophet Jesus is the only one of importance. It's all too easy for some of them to look down on other religions (and thus people) as people who need help from the one and only religion that can give them the kind of salvation dictated by their religion. "Other religions say they know but..." Since you keep repeating this view obviously nothing I say will get you to look at it from my perspective, that this idea shows a lack of awareness of the rich diversity of cultures and religions on this earth. My view might be seen as politically correct, thus apparently evil. The pronouncement of "evil" is so often used to make an argument seem valid. Used by religions through human's turbulent history.

Jan 12, 2013, 21:07

484 posts

Thanks Joe. You seem very good hearted. How does it affect your life, what do you think Jesus would be up to if he were around today? He was like the ultimate rabble rouser, that's why they killed him. So shouldn't Christians (the real ones) be stirring it up, otherwise they are the hypocrites Jesus used to rail against? I read a great book called Pathologies of Power by this liberation theology guy, he works mostly in Latin America with poor adn powerless, putting it into practice you know? Paul Farmer. What a world if all Christians were like that.
I like your picture, btw

Jan 12, 2013, 22:03

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index