Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
God
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Re: God

It sounds great, but in practice people don't actually want to change what they do. You're right about the consumer religion though, don't dare question peoples right to buy! buy! buy!
The most radical idea these days is that there is only one way to God and that's through Jesus Christ, this offends people to their very core and injures their pride, no one wants to submit and give up, it goes against the culture of the west and what we are taught at school, namely that we are better than any one else and if any one gets in my way then "I'll show 'em" and if we're not the best (or at least trying to be the best) then we are useless losers, because of this attitude we have countries like Britain and America who have tried (Britain) or are still trying (America) to impose what they say they believe is the right thing on any country that disagree's with them, so they try to brainwash us (often successfully) with concepts like democracy whilst all the time they are bullying, lying, stealing and destroying any thing that might expose their lies, 99% of the time the reasons are greed and the need to be in control.
So in to this mess of a world I and many others come with the message that God loves everybody and is willing to save them from all this crap, Christ is no fool, his eyes are wide open to what's going on of course, but it would seem that most folk are to busy these days to take the time and actually put it in to practice and see if it's true, either that or the message is too offensive to certain sensibilities, the fact that it is offensive shows that this is a message with balls, because the truth is the truth is the truth and nothing will ever change the fact that God loves you and died for you on the cross and rose from the dead so that you would not have to face conscious eternal death and separation from him, what a message! what an amazing creator! what deep and abiding love! wow!!
but hey! never mind all that let's go shopping and make up our own God, you know one that we're comfortable with and doesn't offend any one.
God bless you man, love Joe

Jan 18, 2013, 02:31

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

484 posts

lereostab wrote:
it goes against the culture of the west and what we are taught at school, namely that we are better than any one else

But aren't you doing this to some extent as well, by denying that there is any other way to I'm not sure what (salvation?) than Jesus? I think we all do it though, we all think we're right, obviously, otherwise we'd think something else. And we want to enlighten everyone else with our superior understanding of things, maybe it's a power and control thing deep down, trying to influence other people. But there's also wanting to share something that has value for us with others, like how music is shared on the forum. Hard to know what our real motivations are. What was my point again. What's the point of living in this less than perfect world if you're going to heaven in the end? If it really is such a happy ending, does anything on this little dot matter at all? (Or even without the happy ending come to think of it). If you're right then nothing at all matters except accepting Jesus, which is the proselytising thing, rather than trying to challenge injustices or whatever, very convenient for the powerful don't you think?

Jan 20, 2013, 01:08

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Thanks for replying.
I know it must seem like I think I know best and I understand why it seems that way, I'll do my best to explain it.
Before I became a Christian I thought Christians were the most obnoxious people on the planet and I hated their arrogance and small mindedness and their insistence that there was only one way, I was even party to an awful situation where a Christian couple were being badly humiliated by me and some friends, I'm obviously very ashamed of this now and feel deeply sorry for my behaviour, I was acting out of ignorance which is not an excuse but rather a reason, I mention all the above to try and make my motives clearer (I'll probably fail in this task).
So with the attitude that I had, why on earth would I become a Christian? I hated them so certainly would not choose to be like I thought they were.
I don't know how much of the bible you are familiar with but their is an account of what happened to a man named Paul as he travelled on his way to the city of Damascus, he was going there to persecute the Christians of that city when suddenly he was miraculously converted to Christ, I can't do it justice here but if you care to have a look yourself you can find his story in the book of Acts chapter 9, but anyway I had a very similar experience and it was the last thing I ever thought would happen to me.
So I went from hating Christians and what they stood for to actually becoming one.
When you've experienced something fully you no longer theorize about it because you now know it to be true regardless of what others may say, if I say to you that Stereolab sound just like Slayer or Anthrax you immediately know that I don't know the Groop because you do know them and how they sound, it's just like that for me regarding God, it's no longer in the realm of choice or maybe this or maybe that, it is an absolute truth that is unchangeable forever.
Yes I can see that what I'm saying sounds arrogant and small minded, but no matter how many times someone told you that the Groop sounded like Anthrax you could never agree and it's not a matter of choice because you know that you know.
This is why I ask people to tell me another way to know God personally apart from accepting Jesus death and resurrection, and I have asked that question many times and no one has ever been able to tell me anything that can be understood simply, whereas I have a simple message and if anyone cares to put it to the test they will see that what I am saying is true, but people resist even trying it to see if it's true, they would rather call Christians small minded and carry on not really knowing who they are or what the purpose of this life is.
True arrogance is thinking you know all about something when really you don't.
I don't know if this has made anything clearer for you, I hope so.
So please remember that God really really loves you and wants you to know his love deeply and personally and the way to receive this amazing love is to simply tell God that you're sorry for your sin, ask his forgiveness and thank him that Jesus died for you.
There is no question in my mind that if you do this earnestly from the heart then you will know what I'm on about all the time, because once you have experienced his wonderful love you won't be able to shut up about it.
God bless you, love Joe

Jan 20, 2013, 16:42

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

lereostab wrote:
True arrogance is thinking you know all about something when really you don't.

From the mouths of babes (or perhaps 'lambs', rather?)...

Jan 20, 2013, 18:38

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

lereostab wrote:

This is why I ask people to tell me another way to know God personally apart from accepting Jesus death and resurrection, and I have asked that question many times and no one has ever been able to tell me anything that can be understood simply...

He wants the cliff notes. I know I said I was done, but am back for a short time. I gave you a website link, did you read it? You've been surrounded by christianity all your life, you've absorbed the teachings of this religion through your culture and people talking to you, if not more intensively. You may not have needed to read and study the bible to come to some kind of epiphany about god, but used the ideas in the religion around you to understand it and feel at one with it, which includes christ. Apparently it's beyond you to fathom that another culture and another religion might come to those same ends.

Jan 20, 2013, 20:16

Normsk
Normsk
318 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
Kazak wrote:
I'll be in hell with the dolphins and the Hindus.

I walked with Jesus and he did say, "Poor boy, you ain't comin' to me no way. You found heaven on Earth, gonna burn for your sins." Well I think I'll be in good company down there with all my friends.

Come on take me for a ride
Take me to the other side!!

Jan 20, 2013, 20:51

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

You are completely wrong in what you think, I won't repeat myself to you again though as it's pointless (like you said)
God bless you, Joe

Jan 21, 2013, 15:17

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

God is attributed as the inspiration to so much wonderful music. People are being contemptuous and really presumptuous that they, or Einstein or Hawking can explain the universe. That's the great mystery. It's not mastery.

Jan 21, 2013, 21:55

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

lereostab wrote:
You are completely wrong in what you think, I won't repeat myself to you again though as it's pointless (like you said)
God bless you, Joe

Hey, I haven't received Joe's official blessing. You bless me and I'll bless you. I am sincere.

Jan 21, 2013, 22:02

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I'll go first. God bless Joe. I will include him in my petitions to the lord, today. May he receive your blessing. Joe , what's your favorite hymn. I haven't listened to them all but I like "go tell it on the mountain" I was listening to this God inspired Choral by Holst and I came to the conclusion these people are insane. So much music has been written for God that does not suck. This choral really moved me. I thought "how could you be contemtptous towards God. He's so abstract his faith and mercy hope and prayer these are all abstractions. Oh well I guess people get angry at stuff for no good reason.
This isn't an easy way to live if you're expecting instant results it requires some discipline. But who knows one could have a conversion. Oh me me!!

Jan 21, 2013, 22:19

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index