Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
God
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

wracket wrote:
(who was, as if it matters, a believer).


I didn't know that, a Christian you mean? I read something where he said Buddhism was the closest to his idea of a good religion, because it has the ethical stuff without a personal god, something like that. Think it was him anyway.

Jan 23, 2013, 21:35


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

lereostab wrote:
Thanks for replying.

God really really loves you and wants you to know his love deeply and personally and the way to receive this amazing love is to simply tell God that you're sorry for your sin, ask his forgiveness and thank him that Jesus died for you.
There is no question in my mind that if you do this earnestly from the heart then you will know what I'm on about all the time, because once you have experienced his wonderful love you won't be able to shut up about it.
God bless you, love Joe


Thanks Joe. I am quite familiar with the Bible actually, Catholic upbringing, kind of. (if Jesus came back and saw Vatican City and the Pope on his balcony in all his finery, wander what he'd say about it. Back to smashing the money-lenders' tables in the temple, I reckon)((you wouldn't believe the kind of rubbish Catholics are indoctrinated with, it's astounding. Although a very influential person in my life was a devout Catholic, he said he needed the ritual, he was an amazing guy too)).
I don't think Paul did this though, it didn't come from him, it came from God in what they call Grace, wasn't it? I could try to do as you say, but without God's grace it ain't gonna happen, so why is God so fickle in his favours? Did your experience come from you?
But you're right. I will try harder. Actually i have had some experiences maybe a bit like that, in the midst of the overwhelming indifference from the universe that is my basic setting. Interconnectedness and love. But even an indifferent universe is still an awe-inspiring one. I love those Hubble photos.

Jan 23, 2013, 21:52


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

I have no idea how, maybe he was inspired by God, but as a young lad (22 or something, round about, I think) he figured out that time and space are not independent but are connected in a profound way. It's pretty mind-boggling when you think about it - you might want to interpret it as the beauty and complexity of God's creation, including the human mind and imagination. Experiments have proven he was right. He just figured it out using maths, and imagining himself sitting on a beam of light, or something. The faster you go, the slower time passes, until you reach the speed of light which they think is the max possible speed although sci-fi geeks just ignore this little detail. So light is kind of timeless, I think, time just stands still for it. I wonder if it's always trying to go faster than light speed but as soon as it does it goes back in time to the point when it was at light speed. They tested it using atomic clocks and high speed aircraft - one clock on the ground, one in the plane, and the one in the plane is a bit behind the other one by the end because it's ticking slightly slower. Try and imagine, it's crazy.
And gravity is the warping of space-time. And what you experience depends on your perspective, everything is relative to your particulr position (relativity).
He had great hair too. And was a real dreamer and idealist and peacenik, hurray for people like that.

Jan 23, 2013, 22:11


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

s_lush_s wrote:
That's the great mystery. It's not mastery.


"That" meaning the universe?
I agree, the fact anything exists at all is impossible to get your head around, but then the idea of nothing existing is also quite hard to imagine. Or maybe nothing really exists, we're just dreams being dreamed by something, or it's like the Matrix. You can always take the blue pill. Hawking wrote something that gravity could be regarded as a kind of negative energy and matter is positive energy, and the two balance each other out perfectly so that the total energy of the universe is zero, which is so cool, very Zen, nothing really exists. The virtual particles created all the time in the vacuum, something out of nothing. My head is exploding now, better stop.

Jan 23, 2013, 22:19


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

Re: God

101 wrote:
wracket wrote:
(who was, as if it matters, a believer).


I didn't know that, a Christian you mean? I read something where he said Buddhism was the closest to his idea of a good religion, because it has the ethical stuff without a personal god, something like that. Think it was him anyway.

A believer in "God", if not one who fully embraced the traditional Judeo-Xtian-Islamic variant. Don't know what he said about Buddhism, but I do remember reading something about him embracing the concept of Nature as God, so that wouldn't be incoherent.

Jan 23, 2013, 22:43


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: God

Check out Howard Bloom's "Big Bagel" theory.

Jan 23, 2013, 23:36


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Re: God

Hi again, thanks for getting back to me, it's appreciated.
I've never really understood what the Pope and all the Vatican stuff was about to be honest, a lot of it seems to be guilt based to me, but I've read some excellent books by some Catholic mystics, Anthony De Mello comes to mind, Michael Molinos and Madame Guyon.
Sorry if it seemed I was saying that Paul did it himself, that wasn't my intention, God is absolutely sovereign in all things and He chose to give Paul that revelation of Jesus, there's a fine line between free will and predestination and I feel both are active in the believers walk, the foundation of it all is ( as you said ) grace and grace and then some more grace, how and why God does things is often mysterious to us but I believe that all His actions are deeply rooted in His love for His people, if we ask we receive, if we seek we find, if we knock then the door will be opened to us, God's not fickle.
My conversion did not come from me, it was straight from God's heart and as I said before when I was confronted with His amazing love and His acceptance of me even with all my sin, His grace overwhelmed me and I could not refuse.
I had been searching for something but I didn't know what I was looking for, I just had an intense feeling that something was desperately wrong, I found out that Christ was what was missing, I had followed Zen teachings and Buddhism for many years but still there was this unsatisfied incompleteness inside of me which was only able to be satisfied in Jesus.
So to sum up, we can't save ourselves, but we respond to what God shows us and says to us with the grace He gives us,
I firmly believe that if we keep on asking and keep on seeking we find the absolute truth of life the universe and everything, it's Jesus Christ, He is the all in all, everything that exists has it's existence because of Him and one day all of creation will know and understand this fact.
So I keep telling people how much He loves them, some respond straight away, some see it years later, the who and when and hows of salvation I cannot fathom completely, but I know God loves the people of His world more than we ever could comprehend.
Remember that He loves you and that it's by grace that we are saved and not by our works, all our guilt and shame was taken up on the cross and destroyed, when we accept that, we can approach God with out fear, but rather as our loving heavenly Father.
God bless you and keep you and I pray that you will know how much He loves you just for who you are, we are all sinners, God loves sinners and hates the sin, why? because sin hurts us so much.
Take care, love Joe.

Jan 24, 2013, 02:06


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Re: God

You're the first person I've heard say something worthwhile about Einstein, I think maybe I was hasty in my opinions of him, thanks for that, Joe

Jan 24, 2013, 02:09


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Re: God

Do you have a problem with the word Christian? I notice you refrain from using it and replace the name of Christ with an x, it's interesting because you didn't say Xlam for Islam and you didn't say Xists for Buddhists.......

Jan 25, 2013, 02:18


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Re: God

lereostab wrote:
Do you have a problem with the word Christian? I notice you refrain from using it and replace the name of Christ with an x, it's interesting because you didn't say Xlam for Islam and you didn't say Xists for Buddhists.......


Ever since the New Testament was written, "X" has been an abbreviation for Christ.

Jan 25, 2013, 19:28

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index