Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
God
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: God

I request that when you are signing off with me, please, type "Jesus loves you." that's more reasonable.Thanks. Jesus loves you!

Jan 28, 2013, 19:39


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

I remember a while ago you saying about once you've felt God's amazing love you won't be able to stop telling everyone about it. I'm curious, do you feel this love all the time, or a lot of the time? Or just when you think about it?
One thing I have never understood, if God is Love as they say then where does all the rest of it come from? Why can't we just all be unified with God in eternity like yoga of the Hindus and avoid all this crap here on earth, much more efficient. What is the purpose of the separation from God that he has forced upon us, presumably, being omnipotent and all? Seems kind of sadistic to me, sorry if that offends you. But maybe that's what they mean when they say God works in mysterious ways. Bloody hell, I'll say.

Feb 03, 2013, 01:49


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

wracket wrote:
lereostab wrote:
God existed before the universe did, God has always been, He has no beginning and no end, He is eternal, that's what eternal means.

Actually I happen to "know" (better source than yours) that your god did not exist before the universe and is, in fact, a rather recent (in cosmic terms) invention of pre-scientific Man.

What's the source you're referring to?
I don't find him boring at all. It's all part of the human experience, isn't it? And since we are just pretty stupid "higher" apes (albeit with moments of inspiration), how can something with a brain that fits comfortably in a small dish pretend to know anything about the deeper reality of things. I think mystical experiences might very well just be hallucinations, misfiring of neurons and stuff like that, something that can be entirely explained by science. But they might not be, and maybe Joe experiences something that we don't (although I think i have experienced sth similar), and it's real, not just faulty wiring. How can this be disproved? We are ignorant when it comes to things like this. Although all the Jesus son of God stuff I don't believe, he was just a shit-stirrer I think, good on him, but that's details, it's the experience that's interesting. I disagree with the certainty about it all, but it's understandable. Wanting to know and knowing you'll never know is uncomfortable.

Feb 03, 2013, 02:13


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

I heard a funny line by this Irish comedian about Catholic priests - never trust anyone who tells you he's the intermediary between you and god, and don't kiss girls. They tell you a lot of other crap too, it's rich pickings.

Feb 03, 2013, 02:19


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

Re: God

101 wrote:
wracket wrote:
lereostab wrote:
God existed before the universe did, God has always been, He has no beginning and no end, He is eternal, that's what eternal means.

Actually I happen to "know"...

What's the source you're referring to? ... Wanting to know and knowing you'll never know is uncomfortable.

Well, I suppose I assumed that my use of quotation marks sufficiently communicated the tongue-in-cheek nature of an allusion to anyone's knowing any such thing...a bit juvenile mocking of Joe's (and all good, Babble-thumping Xtians, in his defense) above assertion, if you will.

As for the source, well...given the nature of my comment, I can't say as though I had one in mind in particular (other than perhaps "me", as in "me vs. you", as in "nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doo doo" ringing across a Midwestern playground), though a few candidates might be as follows: logic, science, empirical data, common sense, Satan *insert rad guitar solo*, etc.

Feb 03, 2013, 18:05


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

wracket wrote:
101 wrote:
wracket wrote:
lereostab wrote:
God existed before the universe did, God has always been, He has no beginning and no end, He is eternal, that's what eternal means.

Actually I happen to "know"...

What's the source you're referring to? ... Wanting to know and knowing you'll never know is uncomfortable.


logic, science, empirical data, common sense



Think i screwed up the quote thing but never mind. I don't think logic, science etc applies to this kind of stuff. I don't mean the Bible-derived "proof" about Jesus as son of God etc etc, but the feeling or whatever it is that he has that there is sth more than appearances would suggest. The fact that something exists at all is the mystery that common sense, logic etc will never be able to cope with, it's completely outside the realm of science. But we search for answers, probably we just find answers because we're programmed to. I wonder if there's a single culture on earth that says "we don't know" about things they actually know nothing about. Every culture has its creation myth. It's a pretty recent invention to say we have no idea and have to just live with that. Will need time to get used to it, it goes against our instincts or something.

Feb 04, 2013, 05:34


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

101
484 posts

Re: God

lovit. It's exactly how teachers sound to poor enslaved children; how well i remember.

Feb 04, 2013, 05:37


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

Re: God

101 wrote:
wracket wrote:
101 wrote:
wracket wrote:
lereostab wrote:
God existed before the universe did, God has always been, He has no beginning and no end, He is eternal, that's what eternal means.

Actually I happen to "know"...

What's the source you're referring to? ... Wanting to know and knowing you'll never know is uncomfortable.


logic, science, empirical data, common sense



Think i screwed up the quote thing but never mind. I don't think logic, science etc applies to this kind of stuff. I don't mean the Bible-derived "proof" about Jesus as son of God etc etc, but the feeling or whatever it is that he has that there is sth more than appearances would suggest. The fact that something exists at all is the mystery that common sense, logic etc will never be able to cope with, it's completely outside the realm of science. But we search for answers, probably we just find answers because we're programmed to. I wonder if there's a single culture on earth that says "we don't know" about things they actually know nothing about. Every culture has its creation myth. It's a pretty recent invention to say we have no idea and have to just live with that. Will need time to get used to it, it goes against our instincts or something.



I think most religions think they "know". They will often say they "know" they know. And it does relate to science in that creationism is trying to worm it's way into the minds of innocent children.

If you look at something like zen buddhism, they may think our not knowing is knowing. Or something. Also, the hierarchical teachings of a church tend to assume the individuals don't know much, and need to be taught.

Feb 04, 2013, 05:51


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Re: God

In all of the categories of beliefs and/or interpretations of reality there must be...shall be ...one category of that which will never be explained or proven. How boring not have just one freaking thing that cannot be proven.

Feb 07, 2013, 05:02


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: God

We seek happiness in all realms of philosophy or religion. Oh, the irony that our first experience into the world is usually an unhappy one! We should become accustomed to it. Most people vacillate between unhappiness and happiness. I refuse to accept it. I want happy happy happy God.

Feb 08, 2013, 16:17

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index