Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Recommended reading
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: Recommended reading

matthew6 wrote:
One Hundred Years of Solitude if you want to discover the origins of Peng33

Huh? I read the book long long ago and liked it. All I can really remember of it now is the girl floating up in the air. What is the connection to peng33, Matthew?

Jan 16, 2013, 10:28

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1901 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:

Huh? I read the book long long ago and liked it. All I can really remember of it now is the girl floating up in the air. What is the connection to peng33, Matthew?

The lyrics to peng33 are taken almost verbatim from One Hundred Years Of Solitude. It's towards the beginning of the book, when the family patriarch (Beneudo?) is trampling through the forest, searching for a place to establish his town.

Jan 16, 2013, 10:49

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

I might need to read it again. Long old book as I recall.

Jan 16, 2013, 10:51

484 posts

[quote="s_lush_s"]H.P. Lovecraft

Sounds like an intergalactic combivan, painted with rainbows and peace signs

Jan 18, 2013, 05:43

484 posts

Great book

Jan 18, 2013, 05:44

matthew6
matthew6
1901 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:

Have you read Marquez's other classic 'Love In the Time Of Cholera?'

I think it's a better read. It's more focused in its narrative and less reliant on magic realism.

Of course both books are so evocatively written, you can practically smell the tropical foliage.

Jan 18, 2013, 08:58

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

matthew6 wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:

Have you read Marquez's other classic 'Love In the Time Of Cholera?'

I think it's a better read. It's more focused in its narrative and less reliant on magic realism.

Of course both books are so evocatively written, you can practically smell the tropical foliage.

No. I'll bear it in mind and give it a read some time. I did enjoy OHYOS, even though I do recall it rambled quite a bit. I have a nice small pile of books just waiting to be read (several Christmas/birthday presents) - always a good situation.

Jan 18, 2013, 17:09

484 posts

I preferred LITTOC too, but need to re-read. Funny how books you once loved with a passion sometimes disappoint when you re-read, or vice versa, shows how much you change over the years. Liked The General in his Labyrinthe too, v sad,I think, don't remember hardly anything from it though

Jan 20, 2013, 00:04

484 posts

Googled it, on a long list, need 10 lifetimes to read all of them. Also need a brain the size of a planet just to ask the right questions probably. Need a particle accelerator the size of the universe to understand energy or whatever. The universe is a universe-sized particle accelerator conducting an experiment to understand itself

Jan 20, 2013, 00:08

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index