Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Which Stereolab songs can you play at an average dance party?
55 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

Re: Which Stereolab songs can you play at an average dance party?

That's probably the "problem" with Stereolab: their music contains way too much finesse, sophistication, sensitivity and other values in order to be confined to rigid standardised disco/dance formulae, which is I suppose all about the perfect four to the floor punch of the rhythm section, at the expense of all the other values.

Dots and Loops never made overt concessions to the standard dance stylistics, their D&B was still in 5/8, but who knows what this album would've been all about had Tim Gane got bitten by the same dancefloor bug as Dan Snaith aka Caribou was for his "Swim" album. Now "Swim" as well as erstwhile chillwave/hypnagogic pop musician Toro Y Moi's work for the past 1.5 years proves, you can't maximise on the dance music values without having to minimise the other values.

Toro's second LP "Underneath the Pine" showed how to take the classic Stereolab sound and make it a bit more fresh again (extremely recommended!), whereas "Freaking Out" EP was a baffling move towards a rather generic R&B/funk/disco hybrid. "Anything in Return" probably tries a bit more multilayered production ideas, but it's still steeped in the less interesting musical idioms to my mind. I don't really know if there is such an album out there that embraces danceable rhythms and is also palatable for the more progressive (not necessarily overt "prog") sensibilities.

Jan 16, 2013, 21:00

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: