Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Which Stereolab songs can you play at an average dance party?
55 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

Re: Which Stereolab songs can you play at an average dance party?

To conserve, I'll transfer the dance-party discussion from the Mass Riff thread here. The OP had expressed a wish that the intro were longer...

photophreak wrote:
Wouldn't extending the brief, brainy SMiLE-ish prelude at the expense of the rest of the song's hip-pumping, mass-appealing riff kind of defeat the purpose of the song? You can't play many Lab songs at a dance-centric party. This is one of the few that can make anyone and everyone shake their ass. If the beginning lasted longer, it would just be another one for philosophical audiophiles, instead of for all the people.

cyberpainter wrote:
PhotoPhreak wrote:
You can't play many Lab songs at a dance-centric party. This is one of the few that can make anyone and everyone shake their ass.

It would be good, but you might have to speed it up, and take off the beginning.

I disagree about removing the opening jaunt to make it danceable. Think of a Donna Summers song like "Last Dance" or "Dim All the Lights", no less danceable because of a slow roll to begin. In fact, it heightens/deepens the moment that the groove commences.

Nor does it need speeding up. If anything, it's a hair too quick for disco. Just a hair. Moreover, this is one song I know for sure can send partiers into a dance frenzy, because I've seen it with my own eyes, inserted it into the playlist myself to figure out how it'd go over, and what I witnessed was awesome. :)

Dec 30, 2013, 09:27

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: