Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Shopping and dropping
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

484 posts

Shopping and dropping

So we're merrily shopping while people are treated like machines in order to produce it for us as cheaply as possible.
Apple's got bigger cash reserves than the US Treasury now(does that make it a virtual country?). It makes fat profits and is therefore King of the World and all hail Steve Jobs. You can probably just google Foxconn if you don't know about the conditions under which some of our nifty gadgets are manufactured.
I'm sick of the ideology that pretends that it doesn't matter how you make money. It's just barbarism dressed up in an expensive suit. What's the point of civilisation, the information age, education etc, if we just stick our heads in the sand about this. Fight the distraction.
Apparently Britain's GDP fell 10% when it abolished slavery. We seem to live in a time when anything that will lower GDP or cut profits is unthinkable. So much for that "bold and innovative thinking" the business leaders are forever harping on about. It won't be long before we're sacrificing virgins to this machine with no brakes.
Does anyone else think about things like this? What do you think, and what do we do?

Jan 16, 2013, 02:17

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Re: Shopping and dropping

Not sure how serious you are in posting this.... but I mostly agree...

Jan 16, 2013, 05:15

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I think about it. I also succumb to it because I am basically poor. So make decisions to purchase things I know are made in China with poor labor and environmental practices, from stores here that also have poor labor practices, and may use substances that are bad for the environment or health. We usually do these things because we feel we have very little choice. But I know we do have choices if we work at it really hard. But we buy the technology, shoes, clothes, etc.

Jan 16, 2013, 05:51

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I know I feel sorry for all the poor people. I've really been overdoing it on the luxury items. I went and did a budget with a lady I could make a student loan payment with my bottled water budget. So I'm on a budget now. Coffee, everything. It's very weird. I've been thinking a lot how poor people are and how good I've got it. so that means no more fifty dollar books for a while and 1 record a month because I started thinking about poor people and they would think I'm insane to keep records and put them on an mp3 I'm just on a budget. If I meet my savings goal I can have one record a month.

Jan 16, 2013, 19:50

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Amazon is making my music budget simple to meet.

Jan 16, 2013, 19:53

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

I'm excited to see what country will supply the cheap labour once China's workers start demanding a fair wage. I'd heard there's a movement to repatriate manufacturing jobs back to the US now, for that very reason.

I hate how companies shut up shop here to reopen in India, or whatever. Good riddance you greedy cun*s, hope your business fails!

Dundee (my home town) is a joke. The outer ring road is littered with huge factories, built in the 50s, and now empty. The NCR factory just closed with the loss of thousands of jobs. They're building an Asda/Walmart on it fs.

Jan 16, 2013, 21:58

dominickblack
dominickblack
30 posts

Boy, I guess I'd probably be poor too if I actually cared about material items. LOL, if I didn't wake up to answer the phone to book my gigs, I'd be poorer.

All I want is a sturdy ship and a star to sail her by.

Jan 17, 2013, 17:43

484 posts

Why would I not be serious? I'm a very serious person

Jan 20, 2013, 01:12

484 posts

I know, me too. But you're talking about the individualist response we've all been brainwashed with. It's an odious lie - just inform all the consumers (yeah right) and trust they will make the right decision as individuals. It's complete bs. Everyone knows they should take the bus or whatever but that entails an immediate sacrifice for me and an immediate benefit for you - it's not gonna happen. I've done the opt-out thing but that only gets us so far; need to actually challenge it. So I think those of us that actually give a shit need to start rarking things up a bit. For me Occupy is a really promising movement; that's why it's dismissed with such scorn. It's a threat, or a potential threat. We need to get together the hard, old-fashioned way and make our voices heard. That's always been the most/only effective way, get the rabble on the streets. But we're all too busy with our entertainment? Amusing ourselves to death?

Jan 20, 2013, 01:27

484 posts

I wouldn't skimp on coffee if I were you

Jan 20, 2013, 01:32

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index