Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Shopping and dropping
31 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

484 posts

Re: Shopping and dropping

cyberpainter wrote:
101 wrote:
I know, me too. But you're talking about the individualist response we've all been brainwashed with. It's an odious lie - just inform all the consumers (yeah right) and trust they will make the right decision as individuals. It's complete bs. Everyone knows they should take the bus or whatever but that entails an immediate sacrifice for me and an immediate benefit for you - it's not gonna happen. I've done the opt-out thing but that only gets us so far; need to actually challenge it. So I think those of us that actually give a shit need to start rarking things up a bit. For me Occupy is a really promising movement; that's why it's dismissed with such scorn. It's a threat, or a potential threat. We need to get together the hard, old-fashioned way and make our voices heard. That's always been the most/only effective way, get the rabble on the streets. But we're all too busy with our entertainment? Amusing ourselves to death?

Well I take action in my own way with continually trying to learn and read and let others know what I have learned. I do what I feel I can, even if I'm not out there on the street with occupy or another movement. People have various abilities to filter what they feel is "true" from what is what you call brainwashing. We all filter through our own experiences and biases, but if you have a rational mind and use it on a regular basis, hopefully you can make some headway, no pun intended.

Oh dear, no revolutionaries on the Stereolab forum, what's up with that?? Got my work cut out. We've had a long enough experiment on the laissez-faire economic model, don't you think? I thought the financial meltdown would spell its end. It hasn't; we bailed it out, and govt services are being shredded to pay for it, and it's as strong as ever. Our greenhouse gas emissions are still rising, 40% or so above 1990 levels. We should be seriously worried about this. Anyone who pays attention to these things should be realising that our representatives are not going to do anything until we tell them to. You can put true in quotation marks if you like but come on, how wierd does the weather have to get and how much data do we need? Saying "truth is relative" is a cop-out sorry to say, and is intellectually lazy. We don't need any more studies. We need to act on what we already know. We're headed for a world of 10 billion plus people in the next few decades. These idiots get all excited about the prospect of new Asian consumers living like us. I'm not. Taking action in your own way is admirable, I try to do that too, and it's not enough, because nothing of consequence has ever changed through individuals reading books, talking with friends, and doing their own thing. It's only the start of the process - and don't believe it's anything other than that. And yes, that's just my opinion isn't it? But I think it's backed by the evidence. Look at how workers gained basic rights after the laissez-faire of the industrial revolution, for example. There are many more.
It's divide and rule - and boy, are we ever divided. Atomised and individualised. Time for the pendulum to swing back. What do you think.

Jan 21, 2013, 06:14

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: