Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
SVIIB - Ghostory
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

SVIIB - Ghostory

A little late to the game on this, but picked this album up a couple of weeks ago and am digging its scene, Blow Monkeys-style. Any other takers?

Jan 26, 2013, 16:47

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Re: SVIIB - Ghostory

Was. Has no staying power.

Jan 27, 2013, 01:31

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Blowing monkeys?

Yeah... that gets old pretty quick.

Jan 27, 2013, 07:25

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

wracket wrote:
A little late to the game on this, but picked this album up a couple of weeks ago and am digging its scene, Blow Monkeys-style. Any other takers?

I used to really love this band. Picked up everything they released when they were first starting out. They had a lot of potential in the beginning. In their earliest incarnation they had a fourth member, James Elliot (aka Ataleia) who brought a more muscular, bass-heavy, experimental element to their sound which featured prominently in earlier demos and singles like 'Face to Face On High Places' in 2007. During his stint w/ the band, they were certainly more adventurous with their sound ('Sempiternal/Amaranth', one of their more challenging songs, was written during this time); Claudia also had more creative input at this stage and was contributing songs.

Then in 2008, SVIIB got a minor hit with 'Chain', which appeared on an Adult Swim comp. It was one of their more pop-oriented songs and it brought them a lot of attention and a larger following. It also would inform their sound going forward -- they decided to strip away the messier, more experimental stuff that Elliot had brought to the music up to this point; he left during the mixing/recording of 'Alpinisms' (though he features on the last track under the Ataleia moniker). With 2010's 'Disconnect From Desire' there was a marked shift in the songwriting and production values -- the whole dream-pop sound they would become known for took over and became the band's formula. After an extensive tour, Claudia decided to leave the band in 2011 so she could raise her child. 'Ghostory' came out several months later in the spring of 2012, with SVIIB sounding even more disembodied and deflated, like a shell of its former self...

I can't really be bothered with their current output. It's like a butterfly farting -- the songs have no bottom, gone from the consciousness as quickly as they arrive there...

Their earlier work couldn't be effed with though -- some of my favourites:

Jan 28, 2013, 19:58

vivakomeda
744 posts

Agree to an extent, but I wouldn't say it exactly like that. I think they sounded like a raw little group with mountains of potential after the first LP. But instead of developing that organically, they've reworked themselves a bit and prioritized production over songwriting.

Hardly a great tragedy or anything like that but yes, I view them now as kind of a lost cause. Some of their newer songs, 'Scavenger' for example, are extremely listenable.

Jan 28, 2013, 21:04

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

I'm not that familiar with the rest of their work, but I absolutely love this song:

Jan 29, 2013, 05:33

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

mirtchevman wrote:
It's like a butterfly farting

Nice description :D

Feb 01, 2013, 18:20

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

I'm definitely a taker.

Benjamin Curtis from SVIIB has just been diagnosed with a nasty form of lymphoma, here's hoping he recovers...

Feb 21, 2013, 12:32