Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Sex and death
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

484 posts

Sex and death

Knew that catchy title would suck you in. A bit of the natural world to temper the virtual world. It's not very racy though, sorry. This is the story of a very ancient little living thing called Volvox. It's existed unchanged for a couple of hundred million years (I'm just paraphasing an old essay here btw, maybe some of it has been found to be wrong by now, dunno). It hasn't evolved because it is perfectly adapted to its place in the world. I read this thing that said we are the products of a long line of creatures that were out of step with their environment, which gave rise to new creatures, and on and on through time. So in evolution, it is the misfit that has always been the vehicle of creative change. I have no idea how accurate that is but who cares, it sounds good.

Anyway, if you magnify it a bit Volvox looks like a green marble. It revolves on one axis like a planet and swims around as purposefully as we make our way through the world. The green colour is from chlorophyll and it can be grown in a chemical solution, which suggests a plant. But it represents a stage of evolution where the distinction between plants and animals hasn't yet been made; it's neither one nor the other.

The cells on its surface look exactly like the one-celled creatures found in any pool of water, with an eye-spot, a nucleus, and 2 flagella to propel them through the water. At one time they were no doubt just a casual grouping of individuals, completely independent of each other. But now their flagella all beat in time, as if Volvox has some central brain that coordinates the movements of all its seperate cells, and they can't exist on their own.

Inside its body are 3 different types of cell. One type are the daughter colonies, identical to the parent, that will eventually bud off and form colonies of their own. Here's the sex bit. Another type looks a lot like the sperm of "higher" animals, and the last type is a sort of egg, much larger in size. Some Volvoxes produce both eggs and sperm, but in other species an individual will usually only produce either eggs or sperm. It's the first appearance of a distinction between male and female individuals. So Volvox invented sex, which is quite an accomplishment, but it also introduced death to the world of living things. An amoeba or a paramecium is immortal in a way; no new individual is ever produced because they just produce copies of themselves, and if conditions are right they can live forever. But Volvox, like everything since, has a built in expiry date and death is as inevitable for each of them as it is for us. This zoologist wrote "This is the first advent of inevitable natural death in the animal kingdom, and all for the sake of sex... Is it worth it?" I'm thinking his sex life probably wasn't the best.

Anyway, it's all just useless information but I find stuff like this is sometimes a good distraction when the human world gets too much. You look around and wherever there is no human head there is the non-human world of little things that are just barely alive, whatever life is. And to think that a few billion years ago the earth was the exact image of hell, with no life anywhere. How did it begin and what is it, and all that. I'm sure if we think hard enough about it we can figure it all out and enlighten the world.

Feb 13, 2013, 01:37

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Re: Sex and death

Choice and the inevitable. No, it's all inevitable! Sex is life, the blue and green marble, the jewel. Death, the light switch on the wall. Not a choice. It ALL can be classified as a miracle, an exquisite accident. While there is color please add to the pallet. You are . Here in the forum. A more cryptic response is customary here. Maybe later,need some music now, some life and ...evolution.

Feb 13, 2013, 05:44

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Interesting write up.

You should use a volvox as your avatar.

Feb 13, 2013, 06:13

484 posts

[quote="jauntymonty"] A more cryptic response is customary here.quote]

The sea remembers

Feb 19, 2013, 00:49

484 posts

Perhaps i will. I quite like 101 though, many interpretations. Maybe I'll make Volvox another alterego, can't have too many of them. One for every occasion.

Feb 19, 2013, 00:51

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Alter egos are discouraged on forums, yet a few insist on annoying everyone with them.

Feb 19, 2013, 06:12

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Anyhow, I meant the picture, not the name...

Feb 19, 2013, 06:14

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

101 wrote:
Perhaps i will. I quite like 101 though, many interpretations. Maybe I'll make Volvox another alterego, can't have too many of them. One for every occasion.

Back in the olden days we had an alterego that everyone had the password for I can't remember the name. Anyway that was back when we had massive amounts of fun here and people got along. It was before Sue got here. On the Green Screen that played Canned Candies.

Feb 19, 2013, 17:57

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Sue the internet troll cop who loves lucious Jackson came on the scene to set us all straight tell us what we can and can't do. Obviously, she flunked psychology.

Feb 19, 2013, 17:59

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

So she's like the Sheriff or the Marshall don't get on her bad side. Authority figures scare me. AnD i CAN't DEal WITh CoNfROntATIon. I tend to rebel against authority figures and that's what Rock and Roll is all about. Rebelling against authority figures and appealling to our intellect. I was listening to John Cage when I heard the overt subliminal

YOU KNOW THAT BAND STEREOLAB, THEY ARE REALLY COOL

on the track Williams Mix

I was appalled I felt so used.

I wish everyone would either process or park their psychological bs at F7.

Feb 19, 2013, 18:13

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index