Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Youtube vids increased Monty Python DVD sales by 23,000% on Amazon !!!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Youtube vids increased Monty Python DVD sales by 23,000% on Amazon !!!

I don't think this has been posted here yet... I was reminded by the other posting saying that a record company was removing some Stereolab videos from Youtube, like Jenny Ondioline.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5137827/monty-python-puts-free-videos-online-sells-23000-more-dvds

Monty Python started a YouTube channel with tons of their sketches streaming for free. The included links to their DVDs at Amazon. The result was a whopping 23,000% increase in sales.

Feb 09, 2009, 22:27

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Re: Youtube vids increased Monty Python DVD sales by 23,000% on Amazon !!!

Good for them. I used to love Monty Python. Some of it is seriously dated, but other stuff is timeless.

Feb 10, 2009, 04:37

hito
hito
1745 posts

Some companies see every free acquisition of their products as lost sale. It is a logical step that relies on the most basic understanding of human behaviour and psychology.
Strangely, they don't go after radio stations and libraries as Tom Tomorrow (I think) humorously pointed out a few years ago.

Feb 11, 2009, 07:29

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2139 posts

hito wrote:
Strangely, they don't go after radio stations and libraries

Hah, yes! I've always thought that was a bit odd. It's the easiest thing in the world to go down the library, borrow a few CDs and then copy them to i-tunes or a blank disc (or "back in the day" to cassette). You can even place a special order for things you are after which they don't have in stock, free of charge.

But woebetide anybody watching a (usually low quality) snippet of video, which might actually encourage them to purchase albums from artists they have never heard before.....

8 )

Feb 11, 2009, 12:59

hito
hito
1745 posts

But what about those poor authors being bled dry by the public library system. I borrow books, read them and don't give the authors a cent. Did you notice how people stopped writing novels once libraries were invented? ;)

But seriously, has anyone considered how great it is for someone like me to hear that big budget films and albums may not be made because of illegal downloads?
Fuck yeah says I. I hate that shit. If "artists" won't make Titanic or another Mariah Carey album because they won't make their cash back I am happy. If only those who believe they have a wonderful story to tell make music and movies (like so many authors and painters who don't make money but do it because they love it) then the world will be a better place.

Nobody has the unalienable right to make money through self expression.

Feb 12, 2009, 12:29

revox
revox
800 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
hito wrote:
Strangely, they don't go after radio stations and libraries

Hah, yes! I've always thought that was a bit odd. It's the easiest thing in the world to go down the library, borrow a few CDs and then copy them to i-tunes or a blank disc (or "back in the day" to cassette). You can even place a special order for things you are after which they don't have in stock, free of charge.

But woebetide anybody watching a (usually low quality) snippet of video, which might actually encourage them to purchase albums from artists they have never heard before.....

8 )

Local authorities allocate an annual budget for Public Libraries from which stock is bought (this is why some public faciities are harder done by than others but, and as you know this is the beauty of the system, items may be transferred between locations).

The point is, the item has been bought in a legitimate transaction and, just as you may loan your own genuine original of a cd, lp, tape to someone else, the library has the same privilege.

However, a library is not accountable for unlawful copying of items that are 'loaned out', any copying and sale or distribution of books, cds, tapes etc by a member of the public carries certain penalties - this is especially the case for individuals that use the library (public) stock for large scale personal profit by bulk copying (if they are 'caught' of course).

Unless someone is getting state benefits (unemployment/disability etc) it is unlikely that an item can be ordered free of charge, there is usually a nominal fee to cover administrative/transfer costs.

Radio stations pay a license fee - I'm not going into detail - a play list is generally created before it is broadcast and a 'royalty' fee is paid via an administrative process.

If a Radio station pays no license fee (pirate) then "'they'" do go after them.

~8^)>

Feb 12, 2009, 17:29

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2139 posts

revox wrote:
Unless someone is getting state benefits (unemployment/disability etc) it is unlikely that an item can be ordered free of charge, there is usually a nominal fee to cover administrative/transfer costs.

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying.....last time I ordered something in at the library I was on the dole (many moons ago)

8 )

Feb 13, 2009, 04:34

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2139 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
revox wrote:

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying.....last time I ordered something in at the library I was on the dole (many moons ago)

8 )

I think it might have been "Kick" by INXS, on cassette

8 O

Feb 13, 2009, 04:35

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2139 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
I think it might have been "Kick" by INXS, on cassette

All the library's LPs were terribly scratched you see.....

In fact so were their CDs. To the point where I'm convinced one of them was so f*cked up and caked in filth it jiggered my CD player.

If so then I have that incident to thank for my expansive vinyl collection.

Thanks libraries. Thaibraries.....

8 )

Feb 13, 2009, 04:40

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2139 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
I'm convinced one of them was so f*cked up and caked in filth it jiggered my CD player

Does anyone know if that's even possible?!

8 O

Feb 13, 2009, 04:42

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index