Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Which band, exactly, is the “Greatest Band Ever.”
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Which band, exactly, is the “Greatest Band Ever.”

Did Rolling Stone make this? It hardly seems worth commenting on how dull the list is but...
Yuck, it is so white man who thinks music should be from the sixties or sound like the sixties. But for about three acts, it could have been made twenty years ago. Nearly all white men, nearly all rock, nearly all on rotation on Man Rock FM.
I see that most of the voters are 18-25 and 46% are women but I can only assume a bunch of 63 year old blokes asked their teenage granddaughters to put in the vote for them because they can't use this "bloody internet thing".

Apr 22, 2013, 14:28

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Lighten up, Francis. You're getting your panties in a twist over a poster.

Apr 22, 2013, 18:47

hito
hito
1745 posts

Here's how it ended. It looks like the male vote went up. The winner was quite predictable:

Mar 17, 2014, 13:45

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

I would imagine that if they asked "Which Old Rock Band Are You Most Sick And Tired Of" they'd come up with pretty similar results (sorry for the cinical note there)

Mar 19, 2014, 13:05

hito
hito
1745 posts

The ones that surprise me are Dave Mathews, Rush and Sleater Kinney. I have never heard Dave Matthews nor have I heard anybody say they like them. I have heard of them. Rush? Are they actually that popular? Again, my knowledge is almost non-existent but I thought it was for guys who grew a moustache in 1982 and wanted something other than mainstream along with three other guys who liked light beer and knee length jackets. I actually looked up Sleater Kinney. They seem ok and even good at times. But I never met anybody who said they were their favourite band.

Mar 19, 2014, 14:05

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

hito wrote:
The ones that surprise me are Dave Mathews, Rush and Sleater Kinney. I have never heard Dave Matthews nor have I heard anybody say they like them. I have heard of them. Rush? Are they actually that popular? Again, my knowledge is almost non-existent but I thought it was for guys who grew a moustache in 1982 and wanted something other than mainstream along with three other guys who liked light beer and knee length jackets. I actually looked up Sleater Kinney. They seem ok and even good at times. But I never met anybody who said they were their favourite band.

Sleater Kinney were very popular in their day, although I'm not that familiar with their catalog. For me I knew them mostly from being Janet Weiss from Quasi's old band and later in SM & the Jicks. But I believe they were legendary in some circles (although I wouldn't have thought well known enough to make a list like that). Anyway, it's just a poster, nothing to be too bothered about like all these kind of "best of" lists :D

Mar 19, 2014, 16:49

hito
hito
1745 posts

not bothered, just curious. I would agree with you that they never seemed THAT popular which is why I raised it.

Mar 20, 2014, 11:26

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

I like the Beatles but was totally burnt out on them by the time I turned 15. Have a love/hate relationship with the stones/zeppelin. Some good music but I don't like the posturing. Never heard of sleater/kinney. I get matthew goode band and Dave Matthews mixed up. They are both mor hipster? They seems pretty inoffensive from what I recall hearing on the radio.

Why is Hendrix listed under England?

Mar 20, 2014, 15:38

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

hito wrote:

Rush is popular and regularly sell out on international tours. As a Canadian I get a lot of exposure to them. Their main claim to fame is a string of prog albums that they made in the 70s and early 80s that are highly rated. They are technically very proficient musicians - especially the drummer , Neal Peart.

Mar 20, 2014, 15:44

hito
hito
1745 posts

matthew6 wrote:

Why is Hendrix listed under England?

The band (Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding) is English and they got their start in England and their manager was from Chas Chandler from the Animals

Mar 21, 2014, 03:00

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index