Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Which band, exactly, is the “Greatest Band Ever.”
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Re: Which band, exactly, is the “Greatest Band Ever.”

hito wrote:
I have never heard Dave Matthews nor have I heard anybody say they like them...

You obviously did not spend very much time around American college girls in the early 2000s. Good for you.

Also: one of the girls from Sleater Kinney is now the star of Portlandia - though that may not mean very much to you, as I believe that we've already had a thread in which we all discussed the fact that no one outside of Blue State America seems to relate to the humor.

Mar 21, 2014, 04:50

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

I relate to the humour but I think matthew6 summed it up best when he said "it's not that funny - the concept is better than the execution." Those "types" of people exist everywhere (at least in the western world) I think and even if they don't, the archetype exists in our souls before we were born (like the 19th British guy with a pith helmet who went to a "public school", went to India or Africa, is married but has no interest in women, uses words like "blaggard" and "ruddy", loves the Queen etc). I don't have to have seen anybody who is actually like the Portlandia characters to know what they represent, what they allude to, what they are mocking etc. As it is, there are people who are pretty much like that in Melbourne, people who are pretty much like characters on Nathan Barley (British) or Slacker (from way back when in Austin) but also very Australian (we just don't make much that is funny in that way)

As an aside, Carrie Brownstein is one of those examples of my inability to comprehend my age. She looks way older than me (to me) but she is actually a year younger.

Mar 22, 2014, 13:09

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

I can sort of see where you're coming from... but only sort of. Do you find this sketch hilarious? (because it is - it totally is! it hits so close to home that it kind of hurts)

Mar 23, 2014, 02:56

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

A coworker took a few months off and travelled around the Pacific Northwest. He said that it is common to see people doing their morning grocery shopping in their bathrobes. If that is not a sign of an advanced society then I don't know what is.

Mar 23, 2014, 04:18

hito
hito
1745 posts

Stupid bloody internet legal attack dogs. Can't watch it here because it is not permitted. It's on the goddamn TV here but some dickhead lawyer has told youtube and dailymotion not to let me watch the clip because I am in Australia. The internet is being regulated by the same idiots who tried to stop everything happening in the 90s. It enables companies to be lazy, fail to provide products in certain markets (You're in Australia, please choose from our two worst products. You don't like it? too bad). Here's to piracy.

Mar 23, 2014, 05:54

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index