Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
new BoC
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

new BoC

Apr 23, 2013, 19:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: new BoC

Well I suppose if you don't make music for years, and have something that may not be all that interesting when you do, might as well make it a publicity stunt. I was intrigued at first with the idea on record store day.

Apr 23, 2013, 20:15

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Well I suppose if you don't make music for years, and have something that may not be all that interesting when you do, might as well make it a publicity stunt.

I was listening to the Campfire Headphase the other day and thinking something similar. It's a beautiful record, and they were making great music. But, they stopped and their lack of output made me think time had passed them by. If they released something now, it wouldn't be the same as when they had captured the moment, so to speak.

Apr 23, 2013, 20:56

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Well I should add I don't have a problem with artists continuing and being creative, the space between Broadcast releases is an example.

Apr 23, 2013, 21:36

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

I think Broadcast's music was timeless and evolving. BoC seem more of a time and place than Broadcast.

Some of my favorite old obscure bands have released new albums this year after long layoffs. The vibe is gone.

It became true for Stereolab, too. I think. Even without the time off.

As they say in Trainspotting, "Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it..."

It's not a knock on anyone, just kind of the way it is, sometimes.

Apr 23, 2013, 23:33

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

I agree with what you're saying but I think it's down to you/me/us. It's not the same because we are now 40+, essentially.

It's sad to say, but I'll never get swept up in the hype of a new band/scene again, not because there aren't good bands/scenes but because I'm too old....with a ton of boring shit (responsibilities) to occupy my mind and time first.

Apr 23, 2013, 23:53

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
I agree with what you're saying but I think it's down to you/me/us. It's not the same because we are now 40+, essentially.

It's sad to say, but I'll never get swept up in the hype of a new band/scene again, not because there aren't good bands/scenes but because I'm too old....with a ton of boring shit (responsibilities) to occupy my mind and time first.

I agree, that's partly true. But it's not the whole story. There's no hype or scene involved (that I know of) but I'm getting really wrapped up in the Ghost Box stuff, Flying Lotus, Kraftwerk...

A lot of "indie rock" that I used to find good, I just can't listen to anymore. It served a purpose at the time, but now just seems terrible.

K Records, Merge, a lot of stuff on Matador...I came across that "What's Up, Matador?" comp while cleaning out my garage a few months ago. I put it on and could only make it through a handful of tracks.

Apr 24, 2013, 00:22

Bunker
Bunker
80 posts

i thought this was about a new blue oyster cult album. abbreviations can be very misleading, oh well.

Apr 24, 2013, 00:52

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

I, too, have a bunch of those Matador CDs :) I never really did check out Chavez, come to think of it (should I?).

It's curious because i'm still super enthuisiastic about music and still have obsessions. It's just never really anything brand new.

Apr 24, 2013, 00:57

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Same here. I listen to music all day. Mining old stuff, things overlooked/forgotten/unaware of is very rewarding.

Apr 24, 2013, 01:00

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index