Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5929 posts

Re: Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?

Didn't we both win a ticket for the Swim tour?

May 30, 2013, 10:37

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

I am kind of beginning to remember that perhaps you did win as well, possibly FB lottery (as was in my case)? Quite incredible how lucky one can get on FB.

May 30, 2013, 17:11

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5929 posts

Yup!

May 31, 2013, 08:32

hito
hito
1745 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
Well, let's see:

1960s - Zappa & The Mothers
1970s - Can
1980s - Spacemen 3
1990s - Stereolab
2000s - Caribou
2010s - Field Music

I am not so big on the first Mothers record but I like Hot Rats. I more think of him as a 70s artist.
Field Music is an interesting choice. Is there an album that you particularly like? I have measure and just bought Plumb straight from them (gotta love a band that sells directly). Still haven't listened to it yet.

May 31, 2013, 15:50

hito
hito
1745 posts

A new paradigm

So I had a think about this and I wondered whether there was another way of seeing it. Decades are just arbitrary numbers. Moreover, some bands hit their straps across decades and there seems to be notable eras across time. Notable, the Beatles were really only good after 65 so the early 60s could go to someone else (although the Beatles didn't really have an early 70s). Radiohead also seem to have had their best period in the late 90s and early 00s. The key one that I thought of was Kate Bush. She was at her peak in the late 70s and early 80s. So from Kick inside (perhaps the best debut album ever) to Hounds of Love, she was the best.

Split decades:

66-75 Beatles or maybe Beefheart (psychedelic / rock era)
76-85 Kate Bush (funny that she is my choice for the punk/new wave era)
86-95 R.E.M. (for the grunge / alternative era)
96-2005 Stereolab (postrock / triphop / britpop era)
2006 - now Dirty Projectors (maybe) or Belbury Poly

Jun 01, 2013, 07:45

484 posts

Still catching up :)

Jun 01, 2013, 11:20

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

60'a the list is endless
70's Rolling Stones
80's Axel Foley theme
90's beasties/beck
20's Stereolab

Jun 02, 2013, 03:00

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

lkh

Jun 03, 2013, 04:50

hito
hito
1745 posts

Decade

So I thought about this further - despite nobody caring - and thought about the idea of any band / artist being great for a decade. Are there any artists that were very good in say 1990 and still very good by 1999. Or from 1980 to 89. I cannot think of one artist that was excellent throughout a decade.

Take the Beatles:
a) they were of no consequence in 1960
b) they weren't very good until 65

Many of the great artists were lucky to survive five or six years (Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Pixies). Those that lasted a long time (Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Stereolab) had some real lows among the highs.

Now I imagine Gary might argue that Sonic Youth (90s) or Pink Floyd (70s) fit this criteria (good for a whole decade) but my impression of each of these acts is that there was some chaff with the wheat in any decade (especially The Wall - ugh).

Still, I don't want to speak for him or anybody else. But I ask, is there an artist that was brilliant for a whole decade?

Jun 04, 2013, 13:55

matthew6
matthew6
1901 posts

Phil Glass

But just out of curiousity, what was a 'low' for Stereolab?

Jun 04, 2013, 14:50

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index