Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?

matthew6 wrote:
Phil Glass

But just out of curiousity, what was a 'low' for Stereolab?

a) which decade for Phil?

b) Most releases post Sound Dust were pretty ordinary and pre Mars they were good but not great

Jun 04, 2013, 14:59

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1900 posts

80's

I agree with 'b' but not being great doesn't equal being a low in my opinion.

Jun 04, 2013, 15:37

matthew6
matthew6
1900 posts

Come to think of it I find most of Margerine to be brilliant and a more enjoyable listen to the iconic ETK. I like the post Margerine records too. They were not pushing themselves creatively like they were during the Dots/Cobra/Sound Dust era, but most of their recent music is enjoyable for me.

Jun 04, 2013, 15:45

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Fab Four Suture was confusing despite having a couple of really solid tracks (Kyberneticka Babicka, Whisper Pitch).

I agree with the positive sentiments about Margerine Eclipse. It gets a bit wonky after Margerine Melodie, but everything up to to and including that song is masterful.

there's always Cobra. I love it, but peeps tend to have a lot of beef with that album.

Jun 04, 2013, 16:47

Mysteryhello
Mysteryhello
567 posts

Axel Foley theme really ? lol

Jun 04, 2013, 20:31

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

Re: Decade

The 2 bands you quote fit the bill IMO.

Stereolab, too, surely, were great for the whole of the 90s. It's totally subjective of course.

The Fall in the 80s. For sure!

Pavement in the 90s!

Jun 04, 2013, 23:04

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

hito wrote:
Stereo Mouse wrote:
Well, let's see:

1960s - Zappa & The Mothers
1970s - Can
1980s - Spacemen 3
1990s - Stereolab
2000s - Caribou
2010s - Field Music

I am not so big on the first Mothers record but I like Hot Rats. I more think of him as a 70s artist.
Field Music is an interesting choice. Is there an album that you particularly like? I have measure and just bought Plumb straight from them (gotta love a band that sells directly). Still haven't listened to it yet.

Yes, Hot Rats is a fine album. Did you hear Waka/Jawaka, it's sister lp?

Jun 05, 2013, 00:52

hito
hito
1745 posts

You like The Wall?

As for Pavement and Stereolab

Both bands didn't have a significant release until 1992 so that somewhat disqualifies them. It is a tough criteria but I was trying to think about somebody who was there from start to finish.

As for Pavement, I reckon the last couple of albums were pretty patchy. Not terrible but far from essential. So give them all albums and it's a 7 year run but for me, I only think Crooked Rain is excellent and I like the albums either side so it is probably a three year run for them.

For me, only the albums from Mars to Sound Dust are essential Stereolab releases. You can find gems in the other albums but they are far from essential. So that is a seven year run for them.

Finally, I haven't heard Waka Jawaka. I tend to get Zappa'ed out. I'll give it a go.

Jun 05, 2013, 03:35

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

hito wrote:

As for Pavement and Stereolab

Both bands didn't have a significant release until 1992 so that somewhat disqualifies them. It is a tough criteria but I was trying to think about somebody who was there from start to finish.

For me, only the albums from Mars to Sound Dust are essential Stereolab releases. You can find gems in the other albums but they are far from essential. So that is a seven year run for them.

I realize I already broke up my Stereolab decade the way I wanted it in this thread. However to respond to what you wrote, I don't see a reason to exclude their releases in 91. They were enough songs to qualify, were released later on switched on, and some people love the more raw droney early youthful sounds and feel they are as essential to their history, and thus essential to their decade. And no reason not to start a decade in 91 instead of 90, which is pedantically accurate.

Jun 05, 2013, 05:20

Bunker
Bunker
80 posts

hito wrote:

Take the Beatles:
they weren't very good until 65

wrong!!!

Jun 05, 2013, 06:39

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index