Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?

1820's - Ludwig van Beethoven

1920's - Helen Kane

1930's - Cab Calloway (honorable metion: Louis Armstrong)

1940's - Doris Day ?

1950's - Ray Charles

1960's - The Velvet Underground (honorable metion: Simon & Garfunkel)

1970's - Blondie (honorable metion: Electric Light Orchestra, Joy Division, Lou Reed, Rolling Stones, Sam & Dave)

1980's - New Order (honorable metion: The Human League, Danielle Dax, Siouxsie & The Banshees)

1990's - Throwing Muses/Kristin Hersh (honorable metion: Stereolab, Underworld, The Breeders, Curve, Echobelly, Massive Attack, PJ Harvey, Portishead, Sleeper)

2000's - Stereolab (honorable metion: Kristin Hersh, Gorillaz, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Thievery Corporation, The Juan MacLean)

2010's - Underworld (honorable metion: Metric)

Jun 05, 2013, 21:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

Nice job picking Throwing Muses. I feel like a traitor, I used to be such a huge fan of theirs.

Jun 05, 2013, 21:28

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Re: Decade

Bunker wrote:
hito wrote:

Take the Beatles:
they weren't very good until 65

wrong!!!

Yes, you are right. I used to be of the opinion that the early Beatles were not as good, but after spending some time with those albums I changed my opinion.

I think in order to appreciate them you have to be into early 50's rock. I think a lot of people who were born after The Beatles broke up have this idea that until The Beatles dropped acid they were just making music your grandmother would love to hear, or something.

Jun 05, 2013, 21:40

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

The Greatest wrote:
Bunker wrote:
hito wrote:

Take the Beatles:
they weren't very good until 65

wrong!!!

Yes, you are right. I used to be of the opinion that the early Beatles were not as good, but after spending some time with those albums I changed my opinion.

I think in order to appreciate them you have to be into early 50's rock. I think a lot of people who were born after The Beatles broke up have this idea that until The Beatles dropped acid they were just making music your grandmother would love to hear, or something.

not "early 50's rock," but the early rock sound of the 50's...that was a typo.

Jun 05, 2013, 21:41

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

hito wrote:
You like The Wall?

As for Pavement and Stereolab

Both bands didn't have a significant release until 1992 so that somewhat disqualifies them. It is a tough criteria but I was trying to think about somebody who was there from start to finish.

As for Pavement, I reckon the last couple of albums were pretty patchy. Not terrible but far from essential. So give them all albums and it's a 7 year run but for me, I only think Crooked Rain is excellent and I like the albums either side so it is probably a three year run for them.

For me, only the albums from Mars to Sound Dust are essential Stereolab releases. You can find gems in the other albums but they are far from essential. So that is a seven year run for them.

Finally, I haven't heard Waka Jawaka. I tend to get Zappa'ed out. I'll give it a go.

I can sing The Wall from start to finish. I love it!

I didn't realise your rules were so strict, so I accept that Pavement don't fit the bill. I agree with you when you say that Crooked Rain is excellent. Surely their finest album.

I'm not really sure we'll get a consensus on any band being great for a whole decade?! Bands fade over time - fact!

Ooh, I've got one - New Order in the 80s !

Jun 05, 2013, 22:43

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

same here; more so of Kristin Hersh's solo stuff though.

2002 I randomly passed a now closed down record store when walking home from work and she was doing an in-store performance. it was so cool! she sang "Rainy Gazebo Tree" which I thought very highly of at the time. a lot of her stuff hasn't stood the test of time for me. I should've stuck around to say something nice to her, but was shy about that kind of thing back then.

Jun 06, 2013, 00:34

hito
hito
1745 posts

I agree that you would have to be into early rock 'n' roll to like the early Beatles but I'm not so I don't :)

Jun 06, 2013, 03:17

hito
hito
1745 posts

Well, my "rule" was simply seeing if a band could truly be considered the band of the decade X. Of course, in part it was based on my belief that bands do fade.

I think fair cases have been made for Stereolab (although I am a decade ends at 99, 89, 79 type of guy), Pink Floyd (although I don't like the Wall, I know many do). Sonic Youth probably have the best case (but I don't know all of their 90s catalogue so well).

I don't agree with New Order (because I don't like them much) but I reckon Cure fans might say they were the band of the 80s. I haven't heard many Cure fans pan their 80s albums.

Anyway, a bit of fun away from backless wedding dresses.

Jun 06, 2013, 03:23

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

meanchico wrote:
same here; more so of Kristin Hersh's solo stuff though.

2002 I randomly passed a now closed down record store when walking home from work and she was doing an in-store performance. it was so cool! she sang "Rainy Gazebo Tree" which I thought very highly of at the time. a lot of her stuff hasn't stood the test of time for me. I should've stuck around to say something nice to her, but was shy about that kind of thing back then.

I loved seeing her solo live, which I did a number of times. Good guitar player, and when her voice was strong, it was powerful stuff. I've always liked her lyrics too. Around the time of the reformed TM in 2002 or 03, it was a much rawer sound and they played super loud. I saw that tour and my hearing has never been the same! And it seemed to kill her voice. I was also changing in my tastes around then, so lost interest. But still like her older music and like to play it on guitar myself once in a while.

Jun 06, 2013, 07:08

hito
hito
1745 posts

This is one of my favourite tracks:

Jun 06, 2013, 07:22

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index