Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: Decade

Frankly, there would be too much research involved to follow this up too much further - especially if you broaden it out to classical and jazz composers and also traditional musicians from all over the world (I've yet to hear a bad record that Toumani Diabate has made).

But anyway, I'd say that both Stevie Wonder and Todd Rundgren (solo) bestrode the 1980s like Colossi. Miles Davis also great - and at his most innovative - throughout the 1960s.

Jun 06, 2013, 12:40

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?

cyberpainter wrote:
[quote="meanchico"]

I loved seeing her solo live, which I did a number of times. Good guitar player, and when her voice was strong, it was powerful stuff. I've always liked her lyrics too. Around the time of the reformed TM in 2002 or 03, it was a much rawer sound and they played super loud. I saw that tour and my hearing has never been the same! And it seemed to kill her voice. I was also changing in my tastes around then, so lost interest. But still like her older music and like to play it on guitar myself once in a while.

I am very sad that I've never had a chance to see Throwing Muses live. Maybe someday they'll come back to the Chicago area. I saw her live a couple weeks ago, and she's better than ever (IMO). Impressive guitar playing, and lots of funny/interesting talking between songs providing insight into the meaning of her songs. She read excerpts from her book, too. Highly recommended!

Jun 06, 2013, 17:15

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

hito wrote:
This is one of my favourite tracks:

Kristin Hersh without her guitar is just not essential. The original A Loon is much better.

Jun 06, 2013, 19:43

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
1960s - Zappa & The Mothers
1970s - Can
1980s - Spacemen 3
1990s - Stereolab
2000s - Caribou
2010s - Field Music

Love the choices for Can & S3, don't know Field Music, will have to look into them.

Jun 11, 2013, 17:28

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

To Summarize everybody's votes...

1820's - Ludwig van Beethoven

1900s - Claude Debussy

1910s - Igor Stravinsky

1920s - Duke Ellington (1), Helen Kane (1)

1930s - Ralph Vaughan-Williams (1), Cab Calloway (1)

1940's - Doris Day (1), Charlie Parker (1)

50s Nat king Cole (1), Little Richard (1), Miles Davis (1), Marlene Dietrich (1), Elvis Presley

(1), Ray Charles (1)

1960's Beatles (5), The Velvet Underground (2), Jimi Hendrix Experience (1), Beach Boys (1), Zappa & The Mothers (1), Serge Gainsbourg, Scott Walker (1)

1970's Pink Floyd (2),Rolling Stones (1), led z (1), Can (1), Nick Drake (1), Devo (1), The Damned (1), The Beach Boys (1), Neil Young (1), Nico (1), Genesis (1), Blondie (1)

1980's - The Smiths (3), Spacemen 3 (1), R.E.M. (1), XTC (1), The Clash (1), Cocteau Twins (1), The Fall (1), The Cure (1), New Order (1)

1990's Stereolab (7), beasties, PJ Harvey, Boards of Canada, Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses

2000's Stereolab (3), Broadcast (2), Caribou (1), North Sea Radio Orchestra (1), Saturday Looks Good To Me (1), OOIOO (1), Sufjan Stevens (1), Radiohead (1), Air (1)

2010's Chromatics (1), Beach House (1), Belbury Poly (1), Field Music (1), burning hearts (1), Underworld (1)

Jun 11, 2013, 18:13

484 posts

I didn't know her voice was so powerful, only ever heard her softer songs. This one's great

Jun 12, 2013, 09:26

hito
hito
1745 posts

I never thought much about her guitar. Her voice and melodies are what gets me. This one has both. The change midway is quite beautiful.

Jun 12, 2013, 14:39

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
To Summarize everybody's votes...

1820's - Ludwig van Beethoven

1900s - Claude Debussy

1910s - Igor Stravinsky

1920s - Duke Ellington (1), Helen Kane (1)

1930s - Ralph Vaughan-Williams (1), Cab Calloway (1)

1940's - Doris Day (1), Charlie Parker (1)

50s Nat king Cole (1), Little Richard (1), Miles Davis (1), Marlene Dietrich (1), Elvis Presley

(1), Ray Charles (1)

1960's Beatles (5), The Velvet Underground (2), Jimi Hendrix Experience (1), Beach Boys (1), Zappa & The Mothers (1), Serge Gainsbourg, Scott Walker (1)

1970's Pink Floyd (2),Rolling Stones (1), led z (1), Can (1), Nick Drake (1), Devo (1), The Damned (1), The Beach Boys (1), Neil Young (1), Nico (1), Genesis (1), Blondie (1)

1980's - The Smiths (3), Spacemen 3 (1), R.E.M. (1), XTC (1), The Clash (1), Cocteau Twins (1), The Fall (1), The Cure (1), New Order (1)

1990's Stereolab (7), beasties, PJ Harvey, Boards of Canada, Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses

2000's Stereolab (3), Broadcast (2), Caribou (1), North Sea Radio Orchestra (1), Saturday Looks Good To Me (1), OOIOO (1), Sufjan Stevens (1), Radiohead (1), Air (1)

2010's Chromatics (1), Beach House (1), Belbury Poly (1), Field Music (1), burning hearts (1), Underworld (1)

Cool list. We are all so smart and discerning.

Jun 13, 2013, 12:03

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index