Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your favorite rock band/artist per decade?
58 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Decade

So I thought about this further - despite nobody caring - and thought about the idea of any band / artist being great for a decade. Are there any artists that were very good in say 1990 and still very good by 1999. Or from 1980 to 89. I cannot think of one artist that was excellent throughout a decade.

Take the Beatles:
a) they were of no consequence in 1960
b) they weren't very good until 65

Many of the great artists were lucky to survive five or six years (Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Pixies). Those that lasted a long time (Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Stereolab) had some real lows among the highs.

Now I imagine Gary might argue that Sonic Youth (90s) or Pink Floyd (70s) fit this criteria (good for a whole decade) but my impression of each of these acts is that there was some chaff with the wheat in any decade (especially The Wall - ugh).

Still, I don't want to speak for him or anybody else. But I ask, is there an artist that was brilliant for a whole decade?

Jun 04, 2013, 13:55

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: