Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Not capitalizing the word "God"--question
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Not capitalizing the word "God"--question

Did writing "God" and not capitalizing it start as an atheist jab against Christians, or is it just laziness on the part of the writer? I'm seeing it a lot lately.

Hate to be pedantic, but if the person writing it is referring to a general concept of gods, rather than the monotheistic God, then he/she should write "I do not believe in 'a' god," not "I do not believe in god."

If the word is not being capitalized because the writer believes God is imaginary, then this is arbitrary because the same would hold true for other fictional characters such as "bugs bunny" or "speeed racer."

Oct 06, 2008, 16:58

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: Not capitalizing the word

God/god, two different things. One should capitalize when referring to the monotheistic, personified God, which is proper. I'm a person, grammatically I'm David, not david. I use "god" when referring to the pantheistic (Einstienian) god, i.e. not a person. I don't think there's any atheistic effort to trivialize monotheistic God. When used properly, the word absolutely should be capitalized in some senses, and not in others. It does get tricky though. But, c'mon, you know all this reverend.

Oct 06, 2008, 17:19

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

No, I actually wasn't aware that it is okay to not capitalize it in certain instances other than when referring to pagan gods, etc. Thanks.

Oct 06, 2008, 17:21

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Personally, I don't capitalize the word "god" because I don't believe in any gods, and I don't like giving respect by doing that. I also don't capitalize the word "republicans" for the same reason; I don't think they deserve any respect these days. :)

Good point though about the other names like "Speed Racer", etc. I guess it's just my little petty thing I like to do to insinuate my non-belief, like crossing out "god" on the backs of our money. Sometimes I say "thank dog" or "oh my dog" as well. I started doing that after I say "Oh my god" and my girlfriend pointed out that I don't have one. :)

Oct 06, 2008, 18:44

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

I would generally capitalise it in an email or letter, but not in a text message. Is it not good English to give certain nouns a capital? (proper nouns?) maybe not...

Oct 06, 2008, 18:50

Bytor Peltor
Bytor Peltor
165 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

Did writing "God" and not capitalizing it start as an atheist jab against Christians,

Probably no more so than removing "Christ" from Christmas.

Oct 06, 2008, 19:05

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Actually, when people write "X-mas," they are still including Christ. "X" means Christ.

Oct 06, 2008, 19:28

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

I thought he meant dropping Christ - to get mas, or mass?

Oct 06, 2008, 19:30

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

GaryB wrote:
I thought he meant dropping Christ - to get mas, or mass?

I've never heard of people celebrating Mass in defiance of Christ...Is he a Satanist?

Oct 06, 2008, 19:45

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Triple Christ?

Does that mean my p0rn is rated ChristChristChrist?

:)

Oct 06, 2008, 19:56

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index