Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Not capitalizing the word "God"--question
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: Not capitalizing the word

I hope he answers with his explanation.

Oct 06, 2008, 19:57

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Re: Triple Christ?

Labhead wrote:
Does that mean my p0rn is rated ChristChristChrist?

:)

nearly wet myself reading that one.

Oct 06, 2008, 20:04

JS
JS
489 posts

Slightly off topic, but still about capitalization.

I don't understand why, when writing the title of something (a song, a book, etc..) capital letters are used at the beginning of each word. I find it weird and annoying.

It seems there is no absolute rule about this either, sometimes all words have a capital, other times only important words have.

ex: "The Return Of The King" or "The Return of the King", while "The return of the king" is, to me, very correct.

Oct 06, 2008, 20:22

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Dis is because ve are speaking vat is essentially a German Language. Ve must all give Great Respect to ze Almighty Noun und Adjective, you see. All is Clear?!

Oct 06, 2008, 20:37

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Yah, I sometimes use the lower case "god" as a kind of half-diss to the Judeo-Xtian myth...but only to say that I don't differentiate it from Thor, Zeus, Ahura Mazda, etc (all of whom I've capitalized here, as these are their NAMES, as is the case with Bugs Bunny and Speed Racer). It's kind of silly to think of "God" being the name of Moses' god if you don't have a monotheistic bend (or "Allah" being the name of the Muslim variant, as that's just the Arabic word for "god", isn't it?)

Oct 06, 2008, 20:42

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

wracket wrote:
It's kind of silly to think of "God" being the name of Moses' god if you don't have a monotheistic bend (or "Allah" being the name of the Muslim variant, as that's just the Arabic word for "god", isn't it?)

That's not really true. He/She has several names: YHVH, Elohim, and Adonai are some of them.

They are just all translated into English as "Lord" and "God."

Oct 06, 2008, 21:00

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
wracket wrote:
It's kind of silly to think of "God" being the name of Moses' god if you don't have a monotheistic bend (or "Allah" being the name of the Muslim variant, as that's just the Arabic word for "god", isn't it?)

That's not really true. He/She has several names: YHVH, Elohim, and Adonai are some of them.

They are just all translated into English as "Lord" and "God."

You're supporting my point. "God" ain't the name...at best it's a title (capitalized in haughty, monotheistic tradition). But if I'm ever referencing Moses' lord/god as "Elohim", rest assured that I'll be capitalizing it.

Oct 06, 2008, 21:17

easychord
69 posts

Lordy, lordy its a good thing we have the freedom to use variations of the word "god". Little Richards song "Good Golly Miss Molly" could have been "Good God Mrs. Mod"

Oct 06, 2008, 21:44

Mars Rover *bow wow*
Mars Rover *bow wow*
92 posts

i write 'god' and 'i' and don't capitalize my name out of both laziness and rebellion. Who the f am i? Why would i insist on capitalizing myself? Who is really that important?

Oct 06, 2008, 23:13

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Mars Rover *bow wow* wrote:
i write 'god' and 'i' and don't capitalize my name out of both laziness and rebellion. Who the f am i? Why would i insist on capitalizing myself? Who is really that important?

hear hear!! hazzah! i have always felt that way. But its mostly laxyness. And i hated when the teacher red circled those lower case i's.

Oct 06, 2008, 23:38

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index