Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Not capitalizing the word "God"--question
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Re: Not capitalizing the word

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

Did writing "God" and not capitalizing it start as an atheist jab against Christians, or is it just laziness on the part of the writer? I'm seeing it a lot lately.

Hate to be pedantic, but if the person writing it is referring to a general concept of gods, rather than the monotheistic God, then he/she should write "I do not believe in 'a' god," not "I do not believe in god."

If the word is not being capitalized because the writer believes God is imaginary, then this is arbitrary because the same would hold true for other fictional characters such as "bugs bunny" or "speeed racer."

god damn, this is taking whining to a whole new level, I think.

Oct 07, 2008, 01:07

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Cheeso wrote:

god damn, this is taking whining to a whole new level, I think.

Ummm, no. Just commenting on something I noticed. Thought it would make a good discussion, which it did.

Oct 07, 2008, 01:46

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
Ummm, no. Just commenting on something I noticed. Thought it would make a good discussion, which it did.

I agree. It was an enlightening discussion.

Oct 07, 2008, 01:58

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

I know, I'm just joking...jesus christ...

Oct 07, 2008, 01:58

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

I am.

Oct 07, 2008, 01:59

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Cheeso wrote:
I know, I'm just joking...jesus christ...

Thats Jesus Christ to you ;)

Oct 07, 2008, 01:59

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

JS wrote:
Slightly off topic, but still about capitalization.

I don't understand why, when writing the title of something (a song, a book, etc..) capital letters are used at the beginning of each word. I find it weird and annoying.

It seems there is no absolute rule about this either, sometimes all words have a capital, other times only important words have.

ex: "The Return Of The King" or "The Return of the King", while "The return of the king" is, to me, very correct.

There are very specific rules, perhaps some people just don't know them. Only one of your examples is correct.

Oct 07, 2008, 02:54

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

And I'm a little horrified by how poor my teenage niece's grammar is. Apparently it has to do with so much text messaging. Or maybe just poor teachers, plus her own lack of progress. How is she going to get into college writing like she does online??

Oct 07, 2008, 02:58

allyourrushingwaves
allyourrushingwaves
219 posts

if God existed, would this be the kind of stuff he'd care about?

Oct 07, 2008, 11:14

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

allyourrushingwaves wrote:
if God existed, would this be the kind of stuff he'd care about?

No...But I exist, and I care. Isn't that enough?

Oct 07, 2008, 13:30

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index