Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?

Here's the description of the label. It calls itself a collection which answers that question...

http://www.grautagrec.com/main.html

Sep 18, 2013, 17:58

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

AnthonyJ
36 posts

It's not 100% vinyl only though if this link is correct:

http://www.discogs.com/Cavern-Of-Anti-Matter-Blood-Drums/release/4882264

Sep 18, 2013, 18:24

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

It's just the way some of these niche musicians are, especially now since it's generally accepted that all of these tracks will be 3rd party extracted and uploaded to private music trackers in due course. The end result is basically the same.

Sep 18, 2013, 18:45

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
From what pikey just wrote, sounds to me like a conceptual project put together by the label. This wasn't really clear, because a lot of labels play up moods or themes, and advertise their music with verbiage like that.

Seemed clear enough to me, FWIW. That said, I'm not sure I'm buying completely the idea that Blood-Drums or something a lot like it isn't what we would have got from Tim anyway (eventually) if Grautag hadn't issued the invite. No doubt the Grautag concept provided some inspiration (and impetus) but I also think there's a bit of retro-fitting to the concept going on here.

cyberpainter wrote:
I'm starting to understand that a lot of musicians these days get invited to do particular music for labels, instead of the other way around.

OK, but there's a long history of Stereolab and Stereolab members contributing music on a one-off basis to record labels, art projects, fanzines, books, etc. - frequently in limited editions or inaccessible formats.

Sep 18, 2013, 19:29

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

jeff w wrote:

OK, but there's a long history of Stereolab and Stereolab members contributing music on a one-off basis to record labels, art projects, fanzines, books, etc. - frequently in limited editions or inaccessible formats.

Certainly. However, Stereolab has made the music contained therein available on albums like "Aluminum Tunes". Not certain if this will apply to "Blood Drums" in the future.

It is good though that Tim is back in action with a new band. Which sounds really good. And not merely a continuation of the 2000s Stereolab. But in fact a new way to shape his krautrock/industrial roots/leanings. An experimental side-project? Perhaps, but a darned good experimental side-project!

Sep 18, 2013, 20:39

vivakomeda
744 posts

Ha, pretty funny. We'll see how long this Grautag is in business.

Sep 19, 2013, 00:06

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

In recent years, I have purchased some very cool, beautiful, collectible vinyl records from labels like PolyVinyl, Matinée, Elefant, and they always contain coupons for free digital downloads. That seems like the best way to bridge the two worlds moving forward.

Sep 19, 2013, 05:44

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

AnthonyJ wrote:
It's not 100% vinyl only though if this link is correct:

http://www.discogs.com/Cavern-Of-Anti-Matter-Blood-Drums/release/4882264

If they distributed a cdr promo or something, I'd love to find one some day.

Sep 19, 2013, 06:04

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

[quote="cyberpainter"]Here's the descriptCy

Sep 19, 2013, 06:28

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Here's the description of the label. It calls itself a collection which answers that question...

http://www.grautagrec.com/main.html

Hey Cyber, it's clear that English isn't the first language of whoever wrote this mission statement, so I wouldn't get too caught up in its verbiage.

I'm thinking that the folks at Grautag aren't really concerned with wide distribution as much as they are with the principle of music, not just as sound, but as artifact. Every record collector knows that the more scarce the item, the more valuable it is -- it becomes something of a relic and almost a certain mysticism surrounds it the more elusive it becomes.

It's almost as if they aren't making this music for the now but for twenty, thirty, fifty years from now...

Sep 19, 2013, 06:55

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index