Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts

Re: No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?

Stereo Mouse wrote:

Certainly. However, Stereolab has made the music contained therein available on albums like "Aluminum Tunes". Not certain if this will apply to "Blood Drums" in the future.

No. I was thinking of the really obscure projects like the Teatime and Spacewatch flexis, Volume 4, Yeti, Kim's Bedroom, Spooky Sounds & Tales, Eaten Horizons... I don't think any of the music here is otherwise available - other than on Basil's DVD-R :)

Sep 19, 2013, 11:44

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

mirtchevman wrote:
[
I'm thinking that the folks at Grautag aren't really concerned with wide distribution as much as they are with the principle of music, not just as sound, but as artifact. Every record collector knows that the more scarce the item, the more valuable it is -- it becomes something of a relic and almost a certain mysticism surrounds it the more elusive it becomes.

It's almost as if they aren't making this music for the now but for twenty, thirty, fifty years from now...

That notion makes me even happier that I am not a vinyl collector.

Sep 19, 2013, 19:49

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Well none of them were first albums by a band with a double album.

Eaten Horizons was exclusive partly because of the limited edition art, one that apparently the band wasn't really in charge of how limited and expensive it was. But obviously they agreed to it, but some excuses were made after the fact... The others that you mention, weren't they mostly one or a few songs, sometimes sharing with one other artist?

I'm happy to have new music by Tim, I'm enjoying it. I'm just saying I would have purchased it if I could have.

Btw, Soundcarriers did this with an album they put out, and even though I love them, I didn't try to find it too hard, just said the heck with it.

Sep 19, 2013, 20:38

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I thought I heard buzz about mp3's finally coming out for the Soundcarriers album. I could be mistaken.

I've thrown that on the turntable quite a bit the past few weeks. it's very good.

Sep 19, 2013, 20:56

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
Does seem rather elitist. I'm one of those poor souls who have no turntable *sad face* (but I can listen to it anyway *winking face*).

The low-key manner of the release does make me think that Tim may see this as very much an experimental side project.

Do you have the album in digital format? I can't find it anywhere!

Would you mind sharing, that'd be awfully nice!

Sep 19, 2013, 22:12

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I'm not trying to pick on you CP, but you've asserted a couple of times that you were somehow prevented from buying it. You simply are not.

Sep 19, 2013, 23:33

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Well you're right of course. If I was that much of a patron of the arts I might buy an import vinyl copy to support the artist even if I have no way of playing it, no vinyl collection, and no intention of buying a record player.

Sep 20, 2013, 05:44

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Someone should start an 8-track only label.

Sep 20, 2013, 06:53

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:
Does seem rather elitist. I'm one of those poor souls who have no turntable *sad face* (but I can listen to it anyway *winking face*).

The low-key manner of the release does make me think that Tim may see this as very much an experimental side project.

Do you have the album in digital format? I can't find it anywhere!

Would you mind sharing, that'd be awfully nice!

I've sent you a message via Twitter, Gary me lad.

Sep 20, 2013, 13:03

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

give it 2 years.

no...3-4. the cassette comeback is fast approaching.

Sep 20, 2013, 13:55

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index