Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

elw
53 posts

Re: No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?

meanchico wrote:
give it 2 years.

no...3-4. the cassette comeback is fast approaching.

lol you hipster!

what other 'dead' formats are there left to resurrect, wax discs????

I think you get a really good depth of sound on those...

Sep 20, 2013, 14:01

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

laserdiscs, man....I started collecting them, like, in the 1998. I tewtally knew.

not really.

one of my favorite antique stores in town has a massive selection of laserdiscs that I thumb through now and then. the cases are nifty.

Sep 20, 2013, 15:25

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

elw wrote:
meanchico wrote:
give it 2 years.

lol you hipster!

what other 'dead' formats are there left to resurrect, wax discs????

I think you get a really good depth of sound on those...

Minidisc!

Sep 20, 2013, 17:08

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I loved those. a few years ago I made a super short mix on minidiscs called "Put Me In Your Pocket" made of songs that were all under 2 minutes or something. I think I sent to a few people on here.

they were nifty little things; felt nice in the hand.

Sep 20, 2013, 17:16

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Haha, I only have 5 mini discs and they're all by the cool kids. Stereolab, 2 by Broadcast, and Monade, and Ross's mix. :D

Sep 20, 2013, 17:39

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

Ugh. Are you serious?? It sounds like you are. This may be a long rant by me as well. I met Tim a few years ago when a friend of mine interviewed him for a local radio station. While I revere his genius perspective and songwriting; he did come across rather pretentious. Not so much to his fans but towards life in general. Like what point is he trying to make? I used to love to listen to records but now then only time I have to listen to music is going to work; I am in my 40's now and have quite a bit of responsibility. So they are going to stick it to those type of fans? Maybe they will change their mind. Tim I think could care less about making $; he's a pure artist. That's great and all but still no license to let your label be an a-hole about the media they decide to release their catalogue on.

Sep 28, 2013, 05:17

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

matthew6 wrote:
I think Tim is being honest about the sales prospective of this album. They're non existent. It will only appeal to a niche within a niche.

In the almost impossible circumstance that this album becomes an indy smash it, then we'll get downloads and cds.

As for the niche within a niche who don't have a record player?

Yes! my point exactly!! It's pompous.

Sep 28, 2013, 05:19

hito
hito
1745 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
flatironsteak wrote:
Umm..He doesn't care about you downloading it for free..what's the matter?

Do you know this for a fact? What has he said in interviews about downloading, does anyone know? Just curious really, because downloads being the reality, might be different than what the artists really think about it.

He clearly doesn't care if you download it free of charge as he is not selling it. So, once somebody here buys the vinyl, they can rip it and put it out there on a torrent site or whatnot. If Tim or this label want money for MP3 files, they can overcome their solipsism and start selling them.

Oct 01, 2013, 15:01

hito
hito
1745 posts

meanchico wrote:
give it 2 years.

The cassette thing is seriously already back. There are heaps of hipster labels selling cassettes. I would say it is 3 or 4 years old already.

Oct 01, 2013, 15:02

hito
hito
1745 posts

I couldn't get through the whole thing but...

http://pitchfork.com/features/oped/9212-its-just-a-cassette/

Oct 01, 2013, 15:04

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index