Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

motoroller
79 posts

Re: No mp3s for Tim's new album. Vinyl only. Opinions?

Yes, everyone should be happy and extroverted! Yay digital media! I'm vomiting in my mouth.

For the record, I happily bought the CoAM LP after a lengthy and extremely helpful email exchange with Grautag. I have a budget-model turntable but also a three-year-old demon son, so haven't listened to any vinyl since he started walking. The free stream at Grautag will suffice until it's safe. Seriously, what's the big deal?

Oct 04, 2013, 03:31

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

motoroller
79 posts

Ooo Snap!

Oct 04, 2013, 03:32

AnthonyJ
36 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
AnthonyJ wrote:
It's not 100% vinyl only though if this link is correct:

http://www.discogs.com/Cavern-Of-Anti-Matter-Blood-Drums/release/4882264

Hi Tony !

Good morning to you.

Oct 04, 2013, 07:39

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2140 posts

meanchico wrote:
give it 2 years.

no...3-4. the cassette comeback is fast approaching.

http://toys.usvsth3m.com/tapes/

I scored a hipstertastic 8 out of 10, in spite of not having handled a cassette in years! :)

(....although this was based on childhood memories, rather than any perceived "coolness" on my part)

I'll never forget the day in work about 7 years ago when some callow youth told us he had found these "strange little plastic boxes with brown ribbons inside" in his uncle's loft, and asked what they were. Made me feel old :D

Oct 06, 2013, 05:20

vivakomeda
746 posts

Vomiting in your mouth, eh? Nice of you to keep it from spewing onto the keyboard.

Oct 06, 2013, 09:31

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

How tacky.

Oct 06, 2013, 21:18

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

The medium is the message.

Oct 06, 2013, 21:23

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Well you're right of course. If I was that much of a patron of the arts I might buy an import vinyl copy to support the artist even if I have no way of playing it, no vinyl collection, and no intention of buying a record player.

Oct 12, 2013, 03:27

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2140 posts

motoroller wrote:
Tim was not pretentious at all when I had the chance to meet him in 2008. A little quiet, which a lot of people mistake for pretentiousness or snobbery.

I would tend agree with that analysis. I have never spoken with Tim, but seen him on stage half a dozen times and watched various interview clips. He seems to come across as somewhat introverted and with a self depreciating humour, which are not traits of the pretentious.

For me a dreaded question in general chit chat with people is the inevitable "so, music is your thing....what bands do you listen to?". I usually try and keep things vague and just say "oh, you know....all kinds of stuff". Especially here abroad, where nobody I meet seems to be familiar with anything outside the mainstream. One guy when I said I was into quite obscure indie music said "oh, underground bands....like U2?". His favourite band was One Direction (honestly) :D

When asked this question I could either say "probably you would never have heard of most of them...." (* retches slightly in mouth *), or just list a few random examples (cue blank expressions). So sometimes it's almost impossible to avoid coming across as pretentious. I have found the best tactic is usually just to say "oh, you know, mostly older stuff", and if pressed for examples mention Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Bob Marley, etc....everyone loves a bit of Bob Marley after all!

I asked one colleague in work what she was listening to on her headphones and got the "oh, you would probably never have heard of them" reply....turned out it was Rage Against the Machine :) Her face was a picture when I said "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me! Oh yeah, I used to be into them....went to see them twice back in the early 90s". Evidently she thought I was an old fart just because I was wearing a shirt and tie, as she put it "a square", but suddenly I was "cool" for knowing this "obscure" and "underground" band (lol) :D

Oct 15, 2013, 12:56

hito
hito
1745 posts

Thanks for a good read. That was funny as much of it rang true. I dread it when people who like commercial radio ask me what I like. Not because I think my taste is better but just because of that blank look. Sometimes I say "stuff from Japan" or I also go for the oldies.
The somewhat relieving thing is that now I don't know what they're talking about either. I'll say "what do one direction sound like?" or "who are they?" or "does she sing?". When I say that, they usually get the picture that it is not worth asking me about my taste in music. They never ask me what I like when I say I don't watch tele much either. By now, they know I am a mutant.
I laughed about the RATM. The thing that was funniest about the "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" is that they edited that bit out for the TV / single. It's like snickering behind your hand or sticking up your finger when nobody notices.

Oct 15, 2013, 13:57

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index