Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Cobra & Phases - song-specific thoughts
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Re: Cobra & Phases - thoughts

jeff w wrote:

It's not note for note, but the ba ba bas in the 'Roaring inside her, woman and anger' section of "Caleidoscopic Gaze" is suspiciously similar to the middle section of "Starship Trooper" from The Yes Album (1971).

You're right.... at about 4:35

Oct 10, 2013, 05:27

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cosmos Twins
Cosmos Twins
147 posts

Dancing Queen, man![/quote]

Yeah and they had to pay handsomely for it I hear after a certain Ulvaeus and Anderson found out...

CT

Oct 10, 2013, 11:04

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Cosmos Twins wrote:
Dancing Queen, man!

Yeah and they had to pay handsomely for it I hear after a certain Ulvaeus and Anderson found out...

CT
[/quote]

Seriously?

Oct 10, 2013, 11:28

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

meanchico wrote:
I'm somewhat envious since I have the same love for the music, but never seem to express it as effectively or eloquently as I'd like.

Trust me, I'm equally envious of people who can write well about almost any piece of music at the drop of a hat. I'm certainly not one of those. Cobra just happens to be my favourite LP of all time, so it's - a bit - easier.

There were some epic posts on the peng email list about Cobra when it first came out. I saved a few of them in hard copy for posterity. They were archived on the web for a while but not now, I think. I miss those days.

Oct 10, 2013, 14:39

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Would be interesting to read them actually.

Oct 10, 2013, 15:47

Cosmos Twins
Cosmos Twins
147 posts

matthew6 wrote:
Cosmos Twins wrote:
Dancing Queen, man!

CT

Seriously?[/quote]

AFAIK. I don't have documentary evidence or anything but heard it from someone I've no reason to doubt. I thought it was quite funny actually, as the steal was so obvious from the first moment I heard the track...but not that I agree with that kind of greediness of course.

CT

Oct 10, 2013, 17:14

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Cosmos Twins wrote:
matthew6 wrote:
Cosmos Twins wrote:
Dancing Queen, man!

CT

Seriously?

AFAIK. I don't have documentary evidence or anything but heard it from someone I've no reason to doubt. I thought it was quite funny actually, as the steal was so obvious from the first moment I heard the track...but not that I agree with that kind of greediness of course.

CT[/quote]

Crikey! I checked for any info on that, all I managed to find was this mention on Simon John's page:

http://tightenupwithsimonjohns.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/stereolab-source-guide-050909.html

Oct 10, 2013, 18:33

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

Re: Cobra & Phases - song-specific thoughts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
1. Fuses

If you send this to your jazz connoisseur friend, then perhaps this song is the only one that features any kind of sense of improvisation on it. Otherwise much of the album is more jazz-flavoured, seeing as it features certain kind of chords, certain kind of rhythms, even certain kinds of tone colours. Tell him that Tim Gane apparently had this idea that even if he was absorbing jazz influences, he still wanted to keep these more complicated ideas simple. Otherwise your pal may be expecting a bigger level of complexity than this album really musters.

2. People Do It All The Time

And if the first track manages to deceive, then surely enough this track should remind that Stereolab still had pop aspirations. And this kind of pop isn't actually a bad thing to aspire to.

3. Free Design

On the other hand, this is probably their most ill-informed choice for a single. Some other candidates would've probably been better. I'm thinking maybe tracks 2, 6, or possibly even 13. Or the b-side track "Escape Pod" (what an irony that "Escape Pod" is an additional track to a single like "Free Design").

I would've probably canned tracks 4, 7 and 12 from the album. It would've been a bit more reasonably timed album this way. However...

11. Blue Milk

Acquired taste (then again, so are the tracks I'd skip from the album), but count me in as another freak alongside Bradford Cox who admires this track. He's so crazy for it that he had Cavern of Anti-Matter to team up with Laetitia to perform this song in June at ATP (I think) festival.

14. Emergency Kisses

One of Stereolab's loveliest in this whole French chanson'y idiom, this would certainly sound like the most straight-ahead homage to Francoise Hardy, except that it diverts mid-way into what sounds like a minor-chord "Brakhage".

15. Come and Play in the Milky Night

One of the tunes Stereolab rarely bettered in live environment. This is where John McEntire manages to produce a song very well. It's just hauntingly beautiful and the arrangement comes off very well on the record.

Good point on "Come and play in the Milkey Night"; I forgot that was produced by McIntire. It's a great album really. I was just impressed at home they changed as a band from the earlier works.

Oct 11, 2013, 04:01

mikka000
1084 posts

just send him infinity girl, emergency kisses and come and play in the milky night.

And a copy of Dots and Loops. ;)

Oct 11, 2013, 07:38

hito
hito
1745 posts

1.Fuses

I often skip it

2.People Do It All the Time

So this is the start of the album. This is a proper introduction to the album.

3.The Free Design

Brilliant song. I think it is a fantastic single. I don't see the dancing queen thing at all. Better than the actual band "The Free Design"

4.Blips, Drips and Strips

The start is a bit shaky. The Mary parts save it. Really hits its stride at 1.36.

5.Italian Shoes Continuum

Given that I now know it is two songs, I opt for the early part.

6.Infinity Girl

One of their best pop songs. There seems to be some sort of beautiful competition between the different singers and vocals (including Laetitia and herself). Ya bup ba ba nanana.

7.The Spiracles

A bit of a plod but I think it is just a chance to catch your breath after the dynamite of Infinity Girl. I think I'd ignore anything after that track.

8.Op Hop Detonation

Sounds like a lot of stuff. Not sure what but I keep hearing other songs. Maybe a bastardised "There is a light that never goes out" with the horns

9.Puncture in the Radax Permutation

Quoting me "But this is a great track. I do like the biped line too, waxenpith. The whole image of the walker is quite striking. I love walking in the forests and truly believe it is a way to just be yourself, away from the racket and pace and buzz of the towns."

10.Velvet Water

A beautiful little journey. Another one that seems to reflect the feeling of sitting in a white sunroom in the seventies looking out on the garden in autumn on a cloudy day.

11.Blue Milk

The epitome of the album. An absolute masterpiece. To this day and from the day I first heard it, this is magic. It's the brown cover, the sun room, the free design, the dark night, the too bright morning, the clouds, smoking pot, chicks on LSD (how I deliberately interpreted the vocal harmony that starts at 3.40 and comes back at 4.26)

12.Caleidoscopic Gaze

A great feminist track (I think)

13.Strobo Acceleration

Sounds like it should be the end of the album (and just as well could have been)

14.The Emergency Kisses

Yeah. Again the record is ending but wait...

15.Come and Play in the Milky Night

The album ends again. A bit of an unnecessary throwback to Mars

16. Escape Pod

Doesn't fit at all

17. With Friends like these

One of their best B sides. Funny, political and poppy.

18. Les Aimes Des Mames

Sounds like something off Margarine Eclipse but better
[/quote]

Oct 11, 2013, 15:10

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index