Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Cobra & Phases - song-specific thoughts
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts

Re: Cobra & Phases - song-specific thoughts

*applauds*

hito wrote:

4.Blips, Drips and Strips
The start is a bit shaky. The Mary parts save it.

A bit harsh; it's supposed to be jagged and Emil-like. It's in some silly time signature, 10/8 I think.

When they did this live, Tim made Mary play the marimba part at the end on guitar (!!). Naturally, she pulled it off with aplomb.

hito wrote:

Sounds like it should be the end of the album (and just as well could have been)

Yeah. Again the record is ending but wait...

The album ends again.

I know what you mean. This is also what I meant when I suggested listening to it in two chunks. Otherwise, you are kinda willing it to end by the time you get to Strobo. Oh wait, there's more?

hito wrote:

17. With Friends like these
One of their best B sides. Funny, political and poppy.

Agree totally. I would have liked to have seen this on the album instead of e.g. The Spiracles.

Oct 11, 2013, 19:41

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Re: Cobra & Phases - thoughts

Hobobachang wrote:
meanchico wrote:
it does, but I can't place it.

I'm a big ABBA fan!

Dancing Queen, man!

Haha - that exact section in the song was an 'eargasm' of mine, in that thread a few years ago. Someone nonchalantly said "oh yeah, the Dancing Queen bit". My mind, too, was blown. I'd never clicked it was abba!

Oct 11, 2013, 21:19

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

See, I would've rather that the suspended bit in "Free Design" with sustained vibes chords as well as lingering vocals could've led into a bit more uptempo section, like I dunno, part two of "With Friends" or the quasi-rockout section of "Blue Milk". Instead it gave us more of the same, but with that brass line that sure made some Abba haters feel a bit queasy.

Oct 11, 2013, 21:42

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

hito wrote:
15.Come and Play in the Milky Night

The album ends again. A bit of an unnecessary throwback to Mars

No! You're having a laugh, right? This is one of the groop's masterpiece songs....essential Stereolab, and a perfect closing track! But each to their own I guess....that's the beauty of music appreciation, it's all in the eye (ear) of the beholder. Everyone has their own take, and this album divides opinion strongly. But for me Cobra will always be one of the top three albums they ever did.

Oct 11, 2013, 22:57

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
hito wrote:
15.Come and Play in the Milky Night

The album ends again. A bit of an unnecessary throwback to Mars

No! You're having a laugh, right? This is one of the groop's masterpiece songs....essential Stereolab, and a perfect closing track! But each to their own I guess....that's the beauty of music appreciation, it's all in the eye (ear) of the beholder. Everyone has their own take, and this album divides opinion strongly. But for me Cobra will always be one of the top three albums they ever did.

I think it's origins harken pre-MAQ. Pre-Stereolab.

Oct 11, 2013, 23:05

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
See, I would've rather that the suspended bit in "Free Design" with sustained vibes chords as well as lingering vocals could've led into a bit more uptempo section, like I dunno, part two of "With Friends" or the quasi-rockout section of "Blue Milk". Instead it gave us more of the same, but with that brass line that sure made some Abba haters feel a bit queasy.

Whichever way Tim took it it would've sounded great. He hadn't really put a foot wrong up to that point!

Was Free Design a Jim or a John produced song?

Oct 11, 2013, 23:18

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Hobobachang wrote:

No! You're having a laugh, right? This is one of the groop's masterpiece songs....essential Stereolab, and a perfect closing track!

Aye. 'tis a truly wondrous thing.

Oct 12, 2013, 00:44

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

hito wrote:
1.Fuses

I often skip it

4.Blips, Drips and Strips

The start is a bit shaky. The Mary parts save it. Really hits its stride at 1.36.

6.Infinity Girl

One of their best pop songs. There seems to be some sort of beautiful competition between the different singers and vocals (including Laetitia and herself). Ya bup ba ba nanana.

11.Blue Milk

The epitome of the album. An absolute masterpiece. To this day and from the day I first heard it, this is magic. It's the brown cover, the sun room, the free design, the dark night, the too bright morning, the clouds, smoking pot, chicks on LSD (how I deliberately interpreted the vocal harmony that starts at 3.40 and comes back at 4.26)

17. With Friends like these

One of their best B sides. Funny, political and poppy.

18. Les Aimes Des Mames

Sounds like something off Margarine Eclipse but better

[/quote]

I love Fuses, It has been my ring tone for years. Every time I listen to it I see tons of little demons in various forms dropping out from a blown curtain on stage with an absolutely black backdrop.

Blips, Drips and Strips was the first song, along with Infinity Girl, that caught my attention ( yes I downloaded them before I went for the CD. I wasn't listening the album in order). It is still very catchy in my ears but I have to say my moment for it has faded, especially when I started to realize how great Blue Milk is.

My frenzy for Infinitely Girl has never faded away since my first listen. But I am much more inclined to the ATP version than the already brilliant studio version. Perhaps because of the faster pace?

Blue Milk--I agree, it is an absolute masterpiece that I didn't like at first. Interesting how long it took for me to accept it and once I turn the page, the world isn't the same. I admit though, It requires a certain mind set for me to fully enjoy it.

With Friends Like These--one of my favorites on the whole album. Love the lyric and the tune. The two part composition executed in a way that makes me think of an answer(part2) to a question(part1).

Les Aimes Des Mames-- one of the best things about Stereolab is their ability to created that somewhat ominous, urgent, yet sensual atmosphere that has never went overboard to cliche. This is one of the best examples. I would put Percolator on that list too.

Oct 12, 2013, 10:12

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

I believe Fuses and Outer Bongolia are the only Stereolab songs I have not heard from start to finish.

Oct 12, 2013, 13:43

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

matthew6 wrote:
I believe Fuses and Outer Bongolia are the only Stereolab songs I have not heard from start to finish.

Outer Bongolia is almost ten minutes, so fair enough....but Fuses is a mere 3:40! I like it, it's a cool melody and has some nice vocal parts. I reckon it serves as a nice opening track :)

Oct 12, 2013, 16:44

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index