Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Cobra & Phases - song-specific thoughts
69 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
684 posts

Re: Cobra & Phases - thoughts part 2

2. People Do It All The Time
One of the simpler songs, musically and lyrically. Tim & Laetitia had just had a son. I think L imagined this as a song for him. If I had one criticism of this album, it’s that the production on this song doesn’t quite work. I think they over cooked it here (whereas on most of the other tracks that’s scarcely possible).

4. Blips, Drips & Strips
Musically, a tribute to Emil Richards, circa his Stones LP. Only converting what he does into pop. Genius.

5. Italian Shoes Continuum
A good example of the “anything goes” philosophy. This is actually two songs, “Continuum” and “Italian Shoes” soldered together, with the join plainly showing. “Continuum” was actually a slightly older recording that had been abandoned, but then recycled for this album.

6. Infinity Girl
This is a scherzo. Honestly. It’s constructed exactly in the form of a classical scherzo and trio. Right down to the use of repeats in the first half and no repeats in the recapitulation.

9. Puncture in the Radax Permutation
Mary is given a rare opportunity to carry a song all by herself and steps up. <3 <3

12. Caleidoscopic Gaze
The song in which Stereolab perfects the multi-part song, which then became their stock in trade up until Chemical Chords, at which point they started to simplify again.

Oct 09, 2013, 16:30

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: