Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Cobra & Phases - song-specific thoughts
69 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

Re: Cobra & Phases - song-specific thoughts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
1. Fuses

If you send this to your jazz connoisseur friend, then perhaps this song is the only one that features any kind of sense of improvisation on it. Otherwise much of the album is more jazz-flavoured, seeing as it features certain kind of chords, certain kind of rhythms, even certain kinds of tone colours. Tell him that Tim Gane apparently had this idea that even if he was absorbing jazz influences, he still wanted to keep these more complicated ideas simple. Otherwise your pal may be expecting a bigger level of complexity than this album really musters.

2. People Do It All The Time

And if the first track manages to deceive, then surely enough this track should remind that Stereolab still had pop aspirations. And this kind of pop isn't actually a bad thing to aspire to.

3. Free Design

On the other hand, this is probably their most ill-informed choice for a single. Some other candidates would've probably been better. I'm thinking maybe tracks 2, 6, or possibly even 13. Or the b-side track "Escape Pod" (what an irony that "Escape Pod" is an additional track to a single like "Free Design").

I would've probably canned tracks 4, 7 and 12 from the album. It would've been a bit more reasonably timed album this way. However...

11. Blue Milk

Acquired taste (then again, so are the tracks I'd skip from the album), but count me in as another freak alongside Bradford Cox who admires this track. He's so crazy for it that he had Cavern of Anti-Matter to team up with Laetitia to perform this song in June at ATP (I think) festival.

14. Emergency Kisses

One of Stereolab's loveliest in this whole French chanson'y idiom, this would certainly sound like the most straight-ahead homage to Francoise Hardy, except that it diverts mid-way into what sounds like a minor-chord "Brakhage".

15. Come and Play in the Milky Night

One of the tunes Stereolab rarely bettered in live environment. This is where John McEntire manages to produce a song very well. It's just hauntingly beautiful and the arrangement comes off very well on the record.

Good point on "Come and play in the Milkey Night"; I forgot that was produced by McIntire. It's a great album really. I was just impressed at home they changed as a band from the earlier works.

Oct 11, 2013, 04:01

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: