Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Mini CDs
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Mini CDs

My goodness. I have volume 1 and I don't want it. You've got to be kidding me. Forty seven dollars and ninety nine cents

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROADCAST-MICROTRONICS-Volume-1-CD-3-Disc-2003-Warp-records-/360734144949?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item53fd6e39b5

or $34.99. Oh this is insane.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROADCAST-Microtronics-Volume-1-3-cd-limited-Mini-cd-/110692700685?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item19c5cc920d

Jan 18, 2014, 12:24

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

That was how I discovered him. I thought the lyrics were strange and saw that they were by him. I looked around on the net at the time (much more difficult than now). I found out that he does a lot that I like and some that is too painful to enjoy.

Jan 18, 2014, 12:31

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

hito wrote:

Broadcast prices have gone way up. Notwithstanding the fact that you don't want your Microtronics. Fortunately, James has said he will be trying to reissue some of his albums this year. I sort of doubt if he will include these little gems, I get the feeling it will be the vinyl which some of his fans crave and can't afford anymore.

Perhaps you could offer the board or the Broadcast board yours at a low price you think it's worth, plus shipping in case someone really wants it.

Jan 18, 2014, 20:11

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

This little gem is going for a reasonable price at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREOLAB-ROSE-MY-ROCKET-BRAIN-3-TOUR-CD-SINGLE-DUOPHONIC-2004-/271391254366?hash=item3f302de75e

Feb 03, 2014, 10:21

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

I used to collect mini CDs, I had around 200 of them at one point by a wide variety of artists and styles, mainly Ambient, IDM and Experimental Electronica.

There were some great independent labels like 'Smallfish' & 'Cactus Island' whose CDs came in nifty little plastic cases with colour covers, sadly they no longer exist.

There are some labels still trading in mini CDs, 'Taalem' is one that I know of and certain artists such as the multi talented 'Brian Grainger' who also records under the names 'Milieu' & 'Coppice Halifax' he releases loads of limited run mini CDs in home made sleeves.

They are certainly very collectable, I went mad for a good 2 years or so collecting them and when I sold them I couldn't believe how much people were prepared to pay for them, some of the 'Smallfish' & 'Cactus Island' CDs were selling for 20.00 each,
I had several mini CD box sets too which sold for silly amounts.

All in all it was great fun and I enjoyed collecting them, it was a bonus that they turned out to be such a good investment as we needed to have the money quickly at the time I sold them.

Hope you find the ones you're looking for.

Feb 03, 2014, 19:21

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

That's interesting to know that there's something other than 80's music in this format.

I'm not looking for anything in particular at this point. But if I see something by a band I like (for cheap), I might get more to add to my little mini collection. Just got a Nick Cave one with a little booklet. Cocteau Twins have a nice one too, but the case is regular size...

Feb 04, 2014, 04:38

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

It's sort of annoying when the case isn't a mini one, I had one like that and it bugged me because it didn't fit with the others in my collection, talk about OCD!
Brian Eno released one with some of his nicer ambient music on it, it was the theme tune to an old BBC2 TV programme called Arena, you may know it from his 'Another Green World' album.

Feb 05, 2014, 01:05

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

As usual you have a lot of good info, thanks. I may have to get the Cocteau Twins one anyhow since it sometimes is very cheap. But it does bug me since I have them on display for fun, and that's kind of the point.

Feb 05, 2014, 06:54

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yeah! I used to love displaying them in a prominent position, a few people asked me what they were because they'd never seen them before, and then of course explaining what the inner ring of your CD player's tray is for which to be honest never even crossed my mind until I discovered mini CDs.
Brian Grainger who I think I mentioned before has released some really nice looking box sets of mini CDs, my favourite was called 'Workingman's Drone' it's a 13 mini CD box set and each CD is in it's own sleeve with varying colours and they are kept in a strongly constructed sort of recycled wood pulp box, it looks really good as the box is just a bit bigger than the CDs so you have this nifty little wood box on your shelf that no one's ever seen the like of before, very cool!
He only made 50 of them if I remember right so they're quite scarce, the music is pure ambient drone style which I find is excellent at night for creating a good relaxing atmosphere.
Anyway, happy hunting!

Feb 05, 2014, 22:42

martin
183 posts

We still have new copies of this available via Rough Trade, couple of quid I think.

http://www.roughtrade.com/artists/69

Cheerio,
Pikey

cyberpainter wrote:

Feb 06, 2014, 02:58

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index