Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Mini CDs
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

Re: Mini CDs

martin wrote:
We still have new copies of this available via Rough Trade, couple of quid I think.

http://www.roughtrade.com/artists/69

Cheerio,
Pikey

That's good to know, and a bargain!

Feb 06, 2014, 07:51

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

Cosmos Twins wrote:

I always thought Microtronics 12 owed a nod to this fine LP:

CT

That Cd is on ebay right now fyi. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CECIL-LEUTER-Pop-Electronique-CD-French-200O-Dare-Dare-roger-roger-69-moog-psych-/111277835943?pt=FR_GW_CDMUSIQUE_CD&hash=item19e8ad06a7

Feb 13, 2014, 09:04

hito
hito
1745 posts

I was listening to this again and marveling and how they sing so beautifully when singing lines like "did you prescribe my daughter a pound of heroin"?

This is an interesting attempt to compile some of the related sketches. You probably need to know them to fully appreciate it.

Feb 25, 2014, 13:07

hito
hito
1745 posts

This sketch is highly relevant

Feb 25, 2014, 13:11

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

hito wrote:
I was listening to this again and marveling and how they sing so beautifully when singing lines like "did you prescribe my daughter a pound of heroin"?

This is an interesting attempt to compile some of the related sketches. You probably need to know them to fully appreciate it.

That's cool. I may have to watch that show now out of curiosity.

Feb 26, 2014, 20:34

hito
hito
1745 posts

It is not an easy viewing. It essentially seems to revolve around an exploration of reactions to situations. On the mild level, there are things about the "dumb" people mocking the doctor for thinking that their pregnancy was a baby when they think it is a spot. On the more severe and extreme "humour", there is the woman asking the plumber to mend her dead baby. This show is not done for belly laughs, it isn't presented as jokes in the "I say I say I say" kind of way or "Who's the boss" where the cast are delivering punchlines. There is a story where a man assures his girlfriend that he wasn't cheating on her as he was actually raping the woman he was seen with. She hugs him assured that he doesn't love this other woman. It is tough going. I watched it with some pretty hardened friends but they found it pretty gloomy and unpleasant. The laughter was genuine nervous reaction

Feb 28, 2014, 10:28

hito
hito
1745 posts

I think Big Train or Armando or many of the other Chris Morris projects did the whole perception thing in a "fun"nier way. On one level, you can't deny the cleverness of Jam; it is not frat boys laughing whilst kicking homeless people but on the other hand, it is undeniably cruel and deeply disturbing.

Feb 28, 2014, 12:24

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

lereostab wrote:

Brian Eno released one with some of his nicer ambient music on it, it was the theme tune to an old BBC2 TV programme called Arena, you may know it from his 'Another Green World' album.

Just got this one! A nice addition.

Mar 01, 2014, 20:50

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

hito wrote:
I think Big Train or Armando or many of the other Chris Morris projects did the whole perception thing in a "fun"nier way. On one level, you can't deny the cleverness of Jam; it is not frat boys laughing whilst kicking homeless people but on the other hand, it is undeniably cruel and deeply disturbing.

Indeed it's extremely disturbing, I believe that was the whole intention. The late night "remix" version "Jaaaaam" was extra disorientating, due to the more random editing and odd visual effects. At it's best I found parts of it as powerful and haunting as a deep and dark movie such as "Persona" or something of that nature can be. It was like pitch black satire on contemporary society, and thus quite saddening and a difficult watch because as the best satire should it contained many truths. Brass Eye, the Day Today and Nathan Barley I considered much more watchable as they can also be categorized as completely hilarious, whilst still a great commentary on the modern media culture and those working within it.

Mar 02, 2014, 16:10

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

So I just won another great 3 incher on ebay which I'm happy to add to my mini collection! Didn't pay much either, which is my guiding principle...

May 03, 2014, 09:53

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index