Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons

Per her Facebook profile. In person, in London.
But she seems to be pondering Skype-type lessons, too.

"2014 is the year where I open my school for vocal tuition, in other words when I set myself to be a singing teacher.
I will run individual and group sessions from my home in South London.
Of course face book is a good space to get in touch if you are interested, and would like to discuss your interest further.

Merci and happy end of year festivities!

LŠtitia"

Followed by...

"I will start thinking about the possibility of teaching via Skype and as to how it would work as well as in person. There are no reasons why it shouldn't.
Good speakers would be a must indeed!"

I had joked:

"To play the part of the coy consumer, I will not reveal how much I would be willing to pay for a lesson from you, lol."

But belying the joke is: I would pay double or triple the going rate for professional voice lessons (although, I do really need those) just to be able to converse a little and sing along with Laetitia, to learn from Laetitia herself how to sing one or two of my favorite Stereolab songs, one of the handful of best-sung most-vocally-interesting songs in the Stereolab catalog.

I also posted this:

"By the way, your school for vocal tuition has been open for a long time, and you've already been a singing teacher to many, many thousands. Any time someone sings along, they are learning, and you are teaching. My favorite lessons have been: Caleidoscopic Gaze as I washed dishes at the sink, One Small Step strolling through the zoo, Long Life Love on a long drive home."

I meant it more literally than figuratively. Any excellent singer is a teacher to others just by singing excellently, as long as one listens very attentively and seriously attempts to mimic the sounds with one's own voice. (In this way, I have had thousands of professional voice lessons from the very best singers in the world, e.g., hundreds alone from Stevie Wonder.) Just as an aspiring basketball player intently watching and shadowing game footage of, say, Larry Bird might as well be receiving personal basketball lessons from Larry Bird. (How much would a Stereolab fanatic pay for a direct lesson from Laetitia? The answer, more or less: How much would a Celtics diehard pay for a direct lesson from Larry? A lot.)

So, I named three songs that move me, vocally. Thinking now, about whether two of those would be the songs I'd most want to learn directly from Laetitia...hmmm. Honestly, I think I'd have to choose New Orthophony (full) if only to get the complete set of lyrics, finally, lol. But if I had to pick, say, the very best vocal performance in a Stereolab song...well, that would take me a while. And would probably be best answered via crowdsourcing. What say ye, those few of you still active on this forum? (I'd maybe split that question into a new thread, but given the sluggish activity here, one big and wide thread is better than a few barely-active thread.) What song contains the most vocal excellence to impart to a listener?

Dec 29, 2013, 20:23

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Re: Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons

Actually this board is still pretty active surprisingly.

I saw that about her vocal lessons. I sure hope she vets people to make sure they are serious and not just fans wanting to get close to her. That said, I would also love a singing lesson from Laetitia!! And have indeed learned from singing along with her and especially second vocal lines like Mary did.

Dec 30, 2013, 00:35

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

If someone wants to pay Laetitia a decent sum of money just to say "Hi!", lol, what's the harm? As long as she thinks it's worth her time, right? But yes, considering how special an opportunity it is to learn, to be taught by a world-class musician, the students should be seriously interested in learning how to sing better.

So, cyberpainter, which Stereolab song would you prefer most to be taught by Laetitia herself? :)

Dec 30, 2013, 01:09

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I don't sing well. If think would enjoy learning songs from Cobra.

Dec 30, 2013, 08:05

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I also have trouble remembering lyrics.

Dec 30, 2013, 08:06

mathieu
mathieu
176 posts

Start with Gainsbourg's song " Je t'aime moi non plus"....

Dec 30, 2013, 10:26

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

Yeah, I'd probably have to avoid all French lyrics...unless I can pay Laetitia extra to teach me to pronounce French. ;)

(But I could sing lyrics in Spanish, ancient Greek, or Latin.)

Dec 30, 2013, 14:38

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I can't remember the title but it's on Cobra and it's like around the. 5 the song and she sings. "savage! ". That's a hard song to sing.

Dec 30, 2013, 21:24

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

This I would like to do very much. Plus I need to set up Skype. I this will book pretty swiftly so I better sign up soon.

Dec 31, 2013, 00:17

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Will she provide accompaniment and what will it be?

Dec 31, 2013, 00:44

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index