Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

Re: Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons

That's great! :)

Jan 08, 2014, 04:34

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Jackson
20 posts

An interesting turn for someone that is consistantley want "to make good music, and to fight off the kind of capitalism that crushes people."

I wonder if she is going to charge for her services??

Jan 09, 2014, 06:45

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Jackson wrote:
An interesting turn for someone that is consistantley want "to make good music, and to fight off the kind of capitalism that crushes people."

Right, because providing the service of an optional leisure activity is crushing whom exactly?

Jan 09, 2014, 06:54

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

Jackson wrote:

You appear to be the kind of person who conflates being-critical-of-capitalism with being-against-money and feeling-everything-should-be-free. Even if you're right, what is she supposed to do, refuse to make money? How does one then afford to fight the good fight against bad capitalists, in a capitalistic world, without money?

But you're not right. One person charging another person a little sum for a singing lesson is not "the kind of capitalism that crushes people", which is a whole different kind of capitalism. There are many forms capitalism can take, big and especially small, not just the worst layers of our current setup, a setup which is ironically similar to communism's bureaucratic, centralized, undemocratic, anticompetitive downside. Capitalism isn't a monolithic entity.

Jan 09, 2014, 07:03

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Thanks! I'm getting nervous. I'm reading Imogen Holst's ABC of music and playing my harmonicas because they're in tune, that's one thing I can be sure of. But I am nervous and fascinated to see how everything goes. Will we sing along with our records or what. Looking forward to it; this is really a great opportunity. To study with Laetitia for a year and learn Stereolab songs? It's great. I'm a little envious of the people who will be in her personal sessions. This is totally awesome. I want to learn Baby Lulu and that Savage song from Cobra and then I'm still deciding. Some of these some may eclipse my ability. But you can choose Monade or some of her solo work.

Jan 09, 2014, 11:14

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Ha Most of these songs Eclipse my ability if it exists. Hey I forgot about Margerine. Her solo stuff is appealing to me. I wonder what they'll be doing in the group sessions. That would be nice if we could access these because they sound like fun and we can see what they're doing. I'm excited and I wonder what my voice will sound like in the end. I just don't want to sing badly and I think it will be good for me. If I hadn't been doing karaoke for oh, the last 3 years, this would be too vulnerable for me.

Jan 09, 2014, 11:31

matthew6
matthew6
1890 posts

Jackson wrote:

You might find this useful

http://www.neweconomyworkinggroup.org/visions/new-economy-vision/real-markets-and-real-democracy/main-street-markets-vs-wall-street-capita

Jan 09, 2014, 13:06

vivakomeda
744 posts

Yeah, to echo others' comments - nothing at all wrong with earning a living.

I don't get the hypocrisy point. Her whole thing is that the system sucks. It doesn't mean she's not bound by the rules of the system. That's her whole complaint in the first place!

Of course none of this means her world view isn't completely silly, and her insistence on reminding everyone of it isn't tiresome. It is and it is.

Jan 09, 2014, 18:18

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:

Of course none of this means her world view isn't completely silly, and her insistence on reminding everyone of it isn't tiresome. It is and it is.

I can think of very little in her world vieew that I disagree with.

Jan 10, 2014, 13:11

matthew6
matthew6
1890 posts

Can someone sum up what Laetitia's 'world view' is ? I am genuinely curious.

Jan 10, 2014, 13:18

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index