Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons

vivakomeda wrote:
Sweet lord. And they don't even bother to mention the humidity crisis at the nation's skating rinks?

God damn Thatcher

So you are OK with the savage cuts to public spending that are causing the closures of not only many swimming pools, but also many other vital sporting facilities, libraries, old peoples homes and visiting carers, not to mention housing for the poor, appaling road surfaces, lack of books and other school equipment, cuts to travel subsidies to impoverished areas (I could go on believe me, I could go onů)?

Jan 12, 2014, 12:02

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Predominantly, if they were vital, they could find private funding.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:06

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
Predominantly, if they were vital, they could find private funding.

You are talking rot. None of these will ever be provided by private funding - unless there is profit involved - private funding is all about profit.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:10

vivakomeda
746 posts

So who pays for private schools?

Jan 12, 2014, 12:11

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
So who pays for private schools?

The tax/council tax payer. We all pay for services that benefit the entire community - that's the way a civilised society should work, eh?

Jan 12, 2014, 12:14

vivakomeda
746 posts

Depends who decides what benefits the community.

This is rather elementary thinking on your part.

I'd love a huge, clean swimming pool that someone else pays for, sure. But who will build it?

Jan 12, 2014, 12:16

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
Depends who decides what benefits the community.

This is rather elementary thinking on your part.

I'd love a huge, clean swimming pool that someone else pays for, sure. But who will build it?

That 'someone else' is 'us'. If you'd look at the link I provided you'd see many examples of publicly (council) funded swimming pools - all now sadly in ruins.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:21

vivakomeda
746 posts

Perhaps they shouldn't have been funded in the first place.

Seems like public funds spent on assets whose upkeep the community couldn't continue to prioritize, and for which nobody was accountable.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:28

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
Perhaps they shouldn't have been funded in the first place.

Seems like public funds spent on assets whose upkeep the community couldn't continue to prioritize, and for which nobody was accountable.

The community could and did afford prioritise these pools for decades. Elected councillors were accountable for them. Now local councils are having to deal with cuts to local taxation imposed by Westminser that mean that they are no longer able to fund such vital (and I do mean vital) services.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:33

vivakomeda
746 posts

I find it hard to believe that vital and I do mean vital services get the axe.

Unless the definition of vital has swelled in recent times?

Jan 12, 2014, 12:38

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index