Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Re: Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons

I put my faith in the free market. It will solve all our problems.

Jan 12, 2014, 13:56

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
I find it hard to believe that vital and I do mean vital services get the axe.

Unless the definition of vital has swelled in recent times?

What part of 'vital' do you not understand? Surely exercise is fundamental to a sustained and healthy life. In inner-city areas affordable pools, gyms, sports pitches and parks (I forgot to mention the parks earlier), are essential to the health and well-being of people. This should be a fundamental right.

Under the rampant capitalism that we are now suffering from these services are being sold off - or made available only the rich. Which I would imagine is Laetitia's point.

Jan 12, 2014, 14:08

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

matthew6 wrote:
I put my faith in the free market. It will solve all our problems.

Ha ha. A bit like entrusting your teenage daughter to the safe hands of Jimmy Savile.

Jan 12, 2014, 14:26

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
This is more fun.

Is there anything I can say that you won't respond to?

= Trolling 101.

Jan 13, 2014, 08:40

hito
hito
1745 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
Perhaps they shouldn't have been funded in the first place.

Seems like public funds spent on assets whose upkeep the community couldn't continue to prioritize, and for which nobody was accountable.

This is a simplistic approach to public spending. Much as you characterise Laetitia's views of capitalism as naive, your idealistic support of capitalism seems to ignore the realities of public assets. Whilst Libertarian philosophies have as much of an idealistic appeal as communism, they ignore the fact that nobody starts out on equal footing, at least if attempted to be applied to the real world.

In the ideal libertarian view, no taxes should be taken other than to protect the fair exchange of assets.

To be sure, nobody could pay for any public assets as everything "should" be funded by private individuals or groups. However, many are born with no access to assets and no means of getting them. It is illogical to suggest that these people should accept a system that protects assets and the right to assets but does not give them any access to those assets from birth. To those born with nothing to exchange but their labour (as opposed to those born with a pool - among other things - of their own) and no common property to access (presumably not even a street to walk down), the logical step would be to kill those who have the assets and take them.

Of course, this is an untenable situation so what we end up with is some mix of communism and capitalism. It is a kind of civil contract. The problem is that the current capitalists are trying to break that contract as they either don't pay taxes, pay less tax or direct taxes away from supporting public assets. This includes pools.

Jan 17, 2014, 14:37

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

hito wrote:
The problem is that the current capitalists are trying to break that contract as they either don't pay taxes, pay less tax or direct taxes away from supporting public assets.

Or they outsource jobs to foreign workers from countries with little or no legal protection or rights. Which is fine and dandy for neo liberals because if not for free trade these workers would be starving to death on the street. It's the benevolence of free trade that keeps them alive.

Jan 17, 2014, 15:19

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index