Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons
76 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

Re: Laetitia is going to start giving voice lessons

Harold Bissonette wrote:
matthew6 wrote:
Can someone sum up what Laetitia's 'world view' is ? I am genuinely curious.

It would be presumptuous to put words in her mouth, but she has always spoken out for what benefits the whole of mankind rather than a rich elite few.

I am guessing Laetitia probably wrote the below text (as she is reciting it, and it seems to reflect her viewpoint), so seems as good a summing up as I could find:

"We want to be able to be inspired, contemplate beauty, achieve excellence and enjoy life to the fullest.
But we are governed by an exploitative economic system which is keeping this from happening.
It thrives through our competitiveness, our selfishness, and our ego-centrism.
Under this system the planet is being destroyed as the commodity of a guarded elite; Public resources are being privatized to benefit the few.
The illusion that success is about accumulating wealth rather than reaching deep knowledge of the self has been successfully planted in our psyche.
In this greed-driven economy we feel isolated, fearful, envious and suspicious of one another.
Where is our sense of purpose? Where is our connection to nature?
The true revolution is of the self. It is about .
Being my best is not a competition to defeat the other. I recognize the need for harmony between people, and treat the other as I would like to be treated.
In order to have a high quality of life, a life affirming society which encourages cooperation between people is necessary.
Our economic and financial system should be based upon the understanding that cultures, ideas, work, health and territory are the true wealth, not money.
The plundering of resources, the exploitation of people and militaristic violence benefits only a corrupt minority.
Is deregulated capitalism really in our interest?
Enough of working and paying for the lavish perks of the few!
We aspire to build a popular movement for the redrafting and democratization of our financial system.
The people should refuse to pay for the abuses of the unnecessary financial elite.
To understand and enjoy life to it's fullest, is the right of everyone."

Seems pretty clear to me, and I find nothing to disagree with there. Maybe there are no practical solutions presented, other than "taking responsibility for what we are as individuals, what we do and what we say....harmonizing our visions to build the best society for the most". Idealistic perhaps, but surely it's important for artists to make a stand against the wrongs they see in the world? Laetitia's lyrics (both of the political and more abstract philosophical variety) are one of the main things which made Stereolab such a revelation for me, and created some of my favourite records of all time (which would not have had the same impact stripped of that content).

Jan 12, 2014, 10:34

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: