Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Why such political uniformity here?
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Why such political uniformity here?

I suspect every person on this forum fancies him/herself open-minded. Free thinking. Intelligent. Capable of critical thought and reasoning. Perhaps intellectual to an extent.

If this is the case, why is there so generally so little diversity of political opinion in this forum?

Jan 12, 2014, 12:15

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: Why such political uniformity here?

vivakomeda wrote:
I suspect every person on this forum fancies him/herself open-minded. Free thinking. Intelligent. Capable of critical thought and reasoning. Perhaps intellectual to an extent.

If this is the case, why is there so generally so little diversity of political opinion in this forum?

There is a deeply offensive and deliberately provocative implication to your question. What you seem to be saying is that anyone who doesn't share your right-wing/capitalistic views is not "open-minded. Free thinking. Intelligent. Capable of critical thought and reasoning. Perhaps intellectual to an extent".

Jan 12, 2014, 12:29

vivakomeda
744 posts

Not at all, and in many ways my view diverges from the status quo right.

I ask why, in a forum dedicated to celebrating an unusual band with unusual ideas, is any divergence from a single thin fragment of political thinking shouted down the way it is?

I wish I could label that fragment clearly and concisely. I suspect most of you know what I mean.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:37

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:

I ask why, in a forum dedicated to celebrating an unusual band with unusual ideas, is any divergence from a single thin fragment of political thinking shouted down the way it is?

I wish I could label that fragment clearly and concisely. I suspect most of you know what I mean.

Would that 'single fargment' be people who care about the whole of mankind rather than a rich elite few?

Oh and by the way there are plenty of political views expressed here - including quite a few right-wing nut jobs.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:44

vivakomeda
744 posts

I'd rather not have a right-left conversation, which in fact speaks to the essence of my point.

Let me try another avenue - perhaps a direct question or two to you:

Do you prefer the company of people who share your opinions?

And do you think you learn more from those people or the people with whom you disagree?

Jan 12, 2014, 12:48

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
I'd rather not have a right-left conversation, which in fact speaks to the essence of my point.

Let me try another avenue - perhaps a direct question or two to you:

Do you prefer the company of people who share your opinions?

And do you think you learn more from those people or the people with whom you disagree?

That is again a bit offensive - you seem to be implying that my opinion wrong and that I should be mixing with people that will show me the errors of my ways.

Jan 12, 2014, 12:51

vivakomeda
744 posts

Not at all.

I introduce this topic defensively, in fact.

I often don't share popular viewpoints in this forum, and very frequently disagree with things that L Sadier says in particular.

It's surprising to me to see how frequently I'm "shushed", essentially, for saying the things I am. Shouted at. Told to go away, like a kid who showed up at the wrong clubhouse.

What particularly bothers me is that the key tenets of the "fragment" I referred to above are often put forward as those virtues I listed in the OP - open-mindedness, intelligent dissent and debate, etc.

You would think an environment like that would encourage viewpoints like mine - because they stray from the norm.

I've found that not to be the case. For years, now, in fact. With some exceptions, I'll grant you.

Jan 12, 2014, 13:00

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Why do you care? This is only the internet. In any case I count exactly zero political threads in the last three pages.

Jan 12, 2014, 13:51

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I like turtles

Jan 12, 2014, 17:39

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

vivakomeda wrote:

It's not that you diverge, it's that you SUCK AT THINKING. And worse yet, you are stupid and arrogant enough to think you are great at it and that we suck. No, opposite. You are either an unfortunate fool or a cunning troll. If the former, then shut up, read more, think more, listen more, and only then resume expressing yourself. If the latter, then GTFO.

Jan 12, 2014, 19:46

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index