Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Why such political uniformity here?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Re: Why such political uniformity here?

I'm with you most of the time, and on reflection most of my political posts are really anti-political in nature. The quickest way to kill an interesting discussion is to turn it into an argument about ideals, or "positions".

It frustrates me when it happens with respect to Stereolab. I used the word "pollutes" before; I think that's what it does.

Jan 16, 2014, 03:46

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

vivakomeda wrote:

But then a song like "Auscultation" will come along. I find it hard to recommend a record to friends when that kind of thing is in the middle of it.

What kind of thing is that? What is so offensive about this song? By the way, the lyrics are taken verbatim from a caller to a call in show, so they are not from pie in the sky philosopher Laetitia.

Jan 16, 2014, 04:51

vivakomeda
744 posts

She clearly endorses the lyrics to an extent, based on her comments in interviews (and the existence of the song in the first place).

Jan 16, 2014, 06:00

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
She clearly endorses the lyrics to an extent, based on her comments in interviews (and the existence of the song in the first place).

...and the lyrics concern themselves with the power held by banks, and central governments. Your issue with this is what? That it is propaganda? Banks have very little influence and our governments work for the good of the common people?

Jan 16, 2014, 10:03

vivakomeda
744 posts

It's sloganeering of a fist-waving college student sort.

I'd wager you don't love the words yourself given your initial point that they're not Sadier's.

Jan 16, 2014, 10:39

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
It's sloganeering of a fist-waving college student sort.

I'd wager you don't love the words yourself given your initial point that they're not Sadier's.

I don't care for the lyrics because they are not poetic. I agree with the sentiments.

Sloganeering? Laetitia is not running for office. She is not endorsing a candidate. Nor is she endorsing a political party or system.

She makes observations in her lyrics. Full stop. That's all. No commitment by the listener needed.

Jan 16, 2014, 10:54

Cybele 21st Century
Cybele 21st Century
57 posts

I'm actually a conservative. I used to do a lot of posting back when the screen was green.

Fans of the Groop tend not to be conservative though.

Cybele

Jan 16, 2014, 15:45

PhotoPhreak
PhotoPhreak
79 posts

Alright, fine. But only because Harold implored me.

Let's commence actually having a wide-ranging, open-minded discussion, then. If vivakomeda decides now to not be a troll, and to engage sincerely and without being a dick, then I won't be a dick back. I'm willing to give vivakomeda the benefit of the doubt, to forget all past foolishness, to see him as a peer who just disagrees about some stuff, rather than a troll. So long as he actually posts that way. I'll re-fill my reservoir of patience back to my typical standard, which is generous. But I'm not doing this just to be magnanimous. I'm doing this mostly because this is perhaps just how things can get fixed, improved. I'll start that thread in the next day. Hold onto your hats, folks, lol, I'm not the liberal you might assume I am.

Jan 16, 2014, 16:36

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Oh gee, nothing new under the sun in an internet forum. Attacks on others with vividly hateful language, long tedious tirades, insisting it's justified, and essential that everybody else should wake up. Then we have this provocative topic because of a bee in his bonnet, insulting in an underhanded way no matter that he denies it later. Exaggeration to make points on all sides. Pretending others must be against them or for them if they choose to not respond at all. Like everyone is here reading your every word with bated breath. Pretending to go off in a huff. Etc etc etc...

Jan 16, 2014, 18:37

vivakomeda
744 posts

A couple people have said that this topic was presented insultingly or condescendingly. That wasn't my intention.

I've always felt in the minority here in some way, and suppose I was trying to express what it sounds like from where I sit whenever political stuff gets discussed.

Jan 17, 2014, 00:40

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index