Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
What's your band of the moment?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Re: What's your band of the moment?

Yep, I have to agree,
'Hex Enduction Hour' is one of the best albums ever recorded by anyone at any time, an undisputed Fall classic.

Jan 22, 2014, 20:51

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

meanchico wrote:
thanks, GaryB!

in that order, I'm assuming?

they're one of those bands that pretty much every person, whose music taste I admire, loves. I've just never put any effort forth in exploring their discography.

I didn't even intentionally purchase the sole album in my possession. it was accidentally shipped to me by an eBay seller. I just happened to dig it!

That's a really cool way of first getting into them

Jan 22, 2014, 20:53

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yeah I've got the 2 CD edition and it's excellent, one of my favourite Fall tracks is 'Garden'

Jan 22, 2014, 20:55

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I like The Frenz Experiment.

Jan 22, 2014, 21:09

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

So do I, the albums with Brix on them are some of the best,

'Bremen Nacht Alternative' is amazing, 9 mins of motorik brilliance,

I love their version of 'Victoria too.

Jan 22, 2014, 21:49

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

I'm loving some Lykke Li this week:-

Jan 22, 2014, 23:21

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

lereostab wrote:
Hey Gary! there's nothing later than 1985 in your suggestions, do I take it you only dig early Fall?

No, I like all Fall eras but I do think early Fall is better for beginners. Certainly from the 90s and beyond the 'singing' becomes patchy and a bit of an acquired taste IMO.

Fall Heads Roll is one of my top albums!

Jan 23, 2014, 00:11

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

hito wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
IMO

Grotesque
Hex Induction Hour
Slates
Dragnet
Live At The Witch Trials
This Nation's Saving Grace

I have said it before but I think Hex is by far the superior record. The engineering or recording or sound or production or whatever you call it is simply amazing. So clear and yet raw. Double drumming. Great tunes and lyrics. The opening track (The Classical) grabbed me instantly.

Having said all that, given that you say we have different tastes, Meanchico, maybe this is not the record for you.

Indeed, Hex is a great album. The Classical really did grab me too. Such a thrill!

I think the album was recorded (at least partly) in an old cinema. Although I've read that Hip Priest was recorded in a cave in Iceland??!

Mark E Smith reckons the original lp sounds shit as it was released on a heavy metal label using heavy metal vinyl, or something :)

Jan 23, 2014, 00:18

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
The Classical really did grab me too. Such a thrill!

Stephen Malkmus thought so too! ;)

Jan 23, 2014, 06:04

hito
hito
1745 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
The Classical really did grab me too. Such a thrill!

Stephen Malkmus thought so too! ;)

Hearing that was so disappointing. There are some things people just shouldn't cover. To produce anything other than a mind blowing cover was a recipe for disaster.

Jan 23, 2014, 13:59

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index