Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
What's your band of the moment?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: What's your band of the moment?

GaryB2 wrote:
hito wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
IMO

Grotesque
Hex Induction Hour
Slates
Dragnet
Live At The Witch Trials
This Nation's Saving Grace

I have said it before but I think Hex is by far the superior record. The engineering or recording or sound or production or whatever you call it is simply amazing. So clear and yet raw. Double drumming. Great tunes and lyrics. The opening track (The Classical) grabbed me instantly.

Having said all that, given that you say we have different tastes, Meanchico, maybe this is not the record for you.

Indeed, Hex is a great album. The Classical really did grab me too. Such a thrill!

I think the album was recorded (at least partly) in an old cinema. Although I've read that Hip Priest was recorded in a cave in Iceland??!

Mark E Smith reckons the original lp sounds shit as it was released on a heavy metal label using heavy metal vinyl, or something :)

Yes, a lot of it was recorded in Iceland. I only have MP3 files so I don't know whether they are taken from the original.

Jan 23, 2014, 14:04

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

hito wrote:
Hobobachang wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
The Classical really did grab me too. Such a thrill!

Stephen Malkmus thought so too! ;)

Hearing that was so disappointing. There are some things people just shouldn't cover. To produce anything other than a mind blowing cover was a recipe for disaster.

I wish he'd sang the right words!

Jan 23, 2014, 14:48

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

Malkmus always gets accused of ripping off the Fall, and Spiral Stairs is quoted as saying they knicked various riffs from Hex. I've never really heard too many obvious steals though? Maybe because I'm not a musician and I am tone deaf I don't pick them up?

I would say though that the sleeve for Slanted is very Fall-esque :)

This song is Fall-ish: (I think this is the song that MES called Malkmus a "c*nt" for stealing).

Jan 23, 2014, 14:54

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
hito wrote:
Hobobachang wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

Hearing that was so disappointing. There are some things people just shouldn't cover. To produce anything other than a mind blowing cover was a recipe for disaster.

I wish he'd sang the right words!

I wasn't even aware he'd made a cover. Guess that's one way to tackle the allegations of plagiarism! I think the Classical in particular sounds so much like the blueprint for the early Pavement sound....the riffs, the rhythms, the vocal delivery. I wouldn't say there's any one track of theres that is like a direct quote as such, just the overall vibe. When you listen to the Classical, it could easily be something off Slanted...". Likewise, a track like "Forklift" for example sounds so much like the Fall :)

Jan 23, 2014, 16:25

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yeah, Pavement's cover is so awful.

Jan 23, 2014, 16:33

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yeah, my 2 favourite Fall albums of this century are 'The Unutterable' and 'Fall Heads Roll' the latest one 'Re-Mit' is growing slowly on me too.

Jan 23, 2014, 22:53

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

The Unutterable - the only Fall lp never released on vinyl!

Jan 24, 2014, 00:45

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Jan 26, 2014, 12:27

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

GaryB2 wrote:

Gosh, very interesting. But a bit shouty for a Sunday morning, Gary. I'll give it a proper listen later.

Jan 26, 2014, 12:56

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Both parts blow me away!

Jan 26, 2014, 23:21

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index