Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Wild Honey - Come on let's go (Broadcast)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

palinuro
palinuro
182 posts

Wild Honey - Come on let's go (Broadcast)

Jan 14, 2014, 16:44

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Wild Honey - Come on let's go (Broadcast)

hideous

Jan 17, 2014, 14:54

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

I got the new album, produced by Tim Gane, called Big Flash. (It didn't include this Broadcast song).

I'm liking some of the Wild Honey album. Light and fluffy, but that can be nice. Remind me of Modular at times though simpler.

I can certainly hear Tim in this one.

I think this has been on here before, a little bit in Tim's studio.

Jan 18, 2014, 11:02

hito
hito
1745 posts

They have to be one of the worst bands I have ever heard. The word "pointless" comes to mind. They are like the worst aspect of the high llamas. They make TV jingles sound complex. Like but worse than those albums you got at kmart in the 80s with all the hits sung by somebody much worse. Inspired by muzak. "we made this record because, well, um, ahh, we wanted you to give up on anything that has any meaning"...

Okay, I have only heard two tracks but they were painful, horrible, flaccid, flaccid, flaccid songs.

Sorry to those who like them but they drove me to despair. Carry on.

Jan 18, 2014, 13:02

hito
hito
1745 posts

Oh, I just have to add (laughing as I do) that they are dull, boring, lame, monotonous, redundant, drab. It is just soooo insipid. It's tepid. It's slightly cooler than luke warm. It enrages me that anybody spent even five minutes producing this music and I am outraged that somebody felt - post production - that this cold porridge should be distributed for public consumption. If these guys were sitting around on the couch wondering why any act whatsoever had sold more albums than them, my answer - if i were a god listening to their prayers - would be that it is because they are worse than any band out there, ever. They will sell less units than Rick Astley because they are worse. Less than Kajagoogoo because they are worse. Less than New Kids on the block because they are worse. Less than Celine Dion because they are worse. Less than William Shatner because they are worse. Less than Stefan Dennis because they are worse. Worse than Jason Donovan, hootie and the blowfish, matchbox 20, nickelback, lucia pamela, one direction (and I've never even heard them), smashmouth, green jelly, dave matthews, jack johnson, david hasselhoff, Jessica Simpson and Charlene who sang "I've been to paradise". They are worse than Wesley Willis not because he is more talented but because they have less that is valuable to say and less that is musically interesting. Unlike a band like Broadcast who may justifiably resent the fact that they were never bigger, these guys will never be logically allowed to experience such disappointment. There will be no posthumous re-examination of a band that was missed. They will be no Linda Perhacs or Vashti Bunyan. They are a cardboard box, white bread, tinned cauliflower soup, carbonara pasta (awful as it already is but without the bacon), plastic spoons, processed cheese, A4 paper, a shop that sells only nuts and bolts, grey trousers, chalk, concrete...

Sorry but I just had to get that off my chest. Please don't read this and get mad.

Jan 18, 2014, 14:08

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

a bit bland, but I always enjoy when bands are inspired by music I love.

Jan 18, 2014, 15:16

vivakomeda
746 posts

I've heard worse. Youtube is littered with bad Broadcast covers; that song seems to be the #1 target.

Here's an exception - I thought this was charming:

Jan 18, 2014, 15:35

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

There were 3 or 4 songs I probably won't listen to a second time. But I like some simple pop music. I can think of many reasons to dislike the bands you said they are worse than in your rampage, without going into a dissertation about it. At the same time I can groove on simple music if there is something in it that I like.

In this case, this vaguely bossa nova style song I linked to "My Memory May Also Be a Wish" has many familiar sounds that Tim has used in the past, which I took pleasure in hearing in this song.

cyberpainter wrote:

I can certainly hear Tim in this one.

I think I'll listen to it again.

Jan 18, 2014, 19:54

hito
hito
1745 posts

Not sure that i like it but she is interesting (certainly more so than the inappropriately named "wild honey"). She has quite a repertoire:

http://www.youtube.com/user/talktothewalls/videos

http://talktothewalls.livejournal.com/?external=1

http://www.youtube.com/user/DropDeadKxy/videos

https://twitter.com/cherieko/media

I think this is her too

http://pastelpower.bandcamp.com/track/jean-paul

I am not so sure I like it so much as find it curious. It's like being given access to the mind and life of somebody around 20 years old. I know that is what the net is all about but I don't think I've actually encountered it in reality.

Jan 19, 2014, 14:08

vivakomeda
746 posts

I think I like it because I find it curious.

Alot of the Broadcast covers I've seen are by either crappy bands with boring deadpan singers, or fuzzed up electronic acts of the noisy mess variety.

What's interesting is that this sad young girl with a guitar and a webcam trained on her captures the damn thing better than any of these guys, despite such a simple arrangement and limitations due to her accent.

Jan 19, 2014, 14:24

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index