Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
*****THIS WEEK'S TOP 10 ALBUMS*****
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

*****THIS WEEK'S TOP 10 ALBUMS*****

1: The Wonderful And Frightening World Of The Fall - The Fall

2: Pink Flag - Wire

3: Abstractions Of The Industrial North - Basil Kirchin

4: The Undertones - The Undertones

5: Doremi Fasol Latido - Hawkwind

6: Entertainment - Gang Of Four

7: One Size Fits All - Frank Zappa

8: Cut - The Slits

9: Jammy Smears - Ivor Cutler

10: Greatest Hits Volume One - Cockney Rejects

Jan 18, 2014, 21:00

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Re: *****THIS WEEK'S TOP 10 ALBUMS*****

Welcome back Joe, a fine taste you have sir :)

Jan 19, 2014, 16:14

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Many thanks, I've been all over the (virtual) world since I was last here.

Jan 19, 2014, 19:20

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Hobobachang wrote:

Do you have any favourites amongst this list, I've got to say that Wire's 'Pink Flag' is an astounding album, I had no idea it was so good as I only discovered it recently

Jan 19, 2014, 19:34

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

lereostab wrote:
Hobobachang wrote:

Do you have any favourites amongst this list, I've got to say that Wire's 'Pink Flag' is an astounding album, I had no idea it was so good as I only discovered it recently

I do indeed, an eclectic list you had there and these are the ones I especially enjoy :)

The Wonderful And Frightening World Of The Fall - The Fall
Doremi Fasol Latido - Hawkwind
One Size Fits All - Frank Zappa
Jammy Smears - Ivor Cutler

Nice to see Ivor Cutler mentioned on the forum! The Wire album is one of those I downloaded some time ago but never really listened to, I will need to remedy this and give it a spin. I love the cover My Bloody Valentine did of "Map Ref 41N 93W", which was what sparked my interest to seek them out:

Jan 19, 2014, 20:19

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Thanks, that was a nice MBV track, I don't know Wire's original yet as I only have 'Pink Flag' at the mo, I'm getting 'Chairs Missing' and '154' this week as it happens, I feel like I'm catching up with a band who are far more influential and important than I realised, 'Pink Flag' sounds miles ahead of other Post Punk New Wave bands from 1977.
I'm glad you've heard of Ivor Cutler, a lot of folk haven't a clue who he is or was, I've been listening to 'Velvet Donkey' and 'Dandruff' too, the guy was brilliant, my 2 favourite poets of the 20th century are Mr Cutler and Ian Dury.
I'm on a big Fall trip at the moment too, I've liked them since I saw them live in Southampton back in 1986 and managed to get back stage after the gig to have a beer with them (Newcastle Brown Ale) great memories…..

Jan 19, 2014, 21:12

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Ivor Cutler. Brilliant.

I have a few Wire albums - I actually prefer their later stuff to the punky Pink Flag, but always a cool band. Never been too keen on the vocals, but otherwise they are pretty great.

Jan 23, 2014, 11:42

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

ABSTRACTIONS OF THE INDUSTRIAL NORTH and ONE SIZE FITS ALL get my thumbs up.

Jan 23, 2014, 12:29

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

velvetwater wrote:
ABSTRACTIONS OF THE INDUSTRIAL NORTH and ONE SIZE FITS ALL get my thumbs up.

Oh yes. Inca Roads and this:

Jan 23, 2014, 12:43

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Brilliant stuff!

Jan 23, 2014, 16:29

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index