Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your top 10 concerts of all time
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

thomas2
thomas2
1700 posts

Your top 10 concerts of all time

Mine:-

1. Butthole Surfers, Reading Festival 1989

2. Stereolab, Oxford Zodiac, Sound Dust Tour (2001?)

3. Jane's Addiction, Brixton Academy, 1990

4. Belle & Sebastian/Franz Ferdinand, London Astoria, c. 2003

5. Pixies & Pere Ubu, London Kilburn National Ballroom, 1988

6. Mark Ronson & Rose Elinor Dougall, Birmingham HMV Institute, 2011

7. New Order, London Finsbury Park Supertent, 1987

8. REM, London Wembley Arena, 1989

9. Pulp, London Wembley Arena, 1994 (ish)

10. Elastica, Oxford Jericho Tavern, c. 1993

And your first ever gig? Mine was Howard Jones, Brighton Centre, 1985, I was about 12 years old! I loved it.

Mar 31, 2014, 05:28

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

Re: Your top 10 concerts of all time

Shabazz Palaces (Showbox, Seattle) 2013

Four Tet (Chop Suey, Seattle) 2009
[There Is Love in You tour]

Broadcast (Chop Suey, Seattle) 2005
[Tender Buttons tour]

Dan Deacon (Middle East Corner Bar, Boston) 2005
[I was grabbing a drink with a friend and this insane guy appeared on stage, we had no idea who he was - he ran outside midway through his set and danced for people waiting at the bus stop, it was pretty unreal]

Trans Am (Crystal Ballroom, Portland) 2002

Jurassic 5 (Crystal Ballroom, Portland) 2001

Super Sonic Soul Pimps (Berbati's, Portland) 2000
[reunion show for a super-silly local band with an amazing costume-and-theatrics-filled live show]

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion & R.L. Burnside (La Luna, Portland) 1996

Five Fingers of Funk (La Luna, Portland) 1994

Smog (La Luna, Portland) 1993
[my first gig ever]

Mar 31, 2014, 06:17

thomas2
thomas2
1700 posts

I made a mix CD the other day and put "Concrete Schoolyard" by Jurassic 5 on it. I bet that was great, that show.

Mar 31, 2014, 06:30

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

Edit:

Cornelius (El Corazon, Seattle) 2007
[the amazing "Sensuous Synchronized Show"]

Mar 31, 2014, 06:31

thomas2
thomas2
1700 posts

ah yes, I saw Cornelius in London (Koko, Camden) a few years ago, it was excellent.

Mar 31, 2014, 06:34

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

thomas2 wrote:
I made a mix CD the other day and put "Concrete Schoolyard" by Jurassic 5 on it. I bet that was great, that show.

The best part about it was the audience reaction. The only time people stopped bouncing and singing the hooks was during the encore freestyle when someone (I believe it was Mark 7) mentioned Shaq and Kobe Bryant in his rhymes - the place immediately froze and everyone booed LOUD for a good couple of minutes before Charli Tuna was able to calm it down by promising to come back and play a free show if the Blazers won the NBA title that year ("...cause we know that'll never happen!"). It was all in good fun, of course, and the best ending to a show I've ever seen.

Mar 31, 2014, 06:41

hito
hito
1745 posts

Not in order:

1. Jesus Lizard - Big Day Out in Melbourne in 1996

2. Faith No More - Festival Hall, Melbourne 1995

3. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - everywhere I ever saw them from 1994 at the Prince of Wales to the BDO in 1997. Boss Hog were amazing too.

4. Butthole Surfers at the Hifi bar in 2001

5. Tenniscoats - Northcote Social Club in 2005

6. Prefuse 73 - Corner Hotel in Richmond in 2003

7. Midlake at Meredith Music Festival 2006

8. Primus at the Big Day Out 1994 and in many subsequent shows.

9. The Fauves in Melbourne around 1993-1997

10. Broadcast in Melbourne 2010 at the Hifi

I don't know, I realise that I have no hope here. So many great shows to choose from, some where I was so off my face I probably can't recall them right now. Some local bands that blew me away and I probably haven't thought of them for ages. Some big acts that I forget. I went to:

The Big Day out from 1993-1997 then 2001 and 2003. Check it out and tell me you could get a top ten even from that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Day_Out_lineups_by_year

I went to a heap of Merediths in the 2000s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Meredith_Music_Festival_lineups_by_year

I don't know what is best. I have seen too much.

Mar 31, 2014, 14:58

hito
hito
1745 posts

1. Stereolab 1998 at the Prince of Wales

2. Ween 1997 Prince of Wales

3. Buck 65 Corner Hotel 2003

4. Monster magnet Palace 1995

5. PJ Harvey Big Day Out 2001 and 2003

6. Queens of the Stone Age Big Day Out 2001 and 2003

7. Beasts of Bourbon Big Day Out 1997

8. The Meanies Big Day Out 1993

9. Iggy Pop Big Day Out 1993

10. Deerhunter Hifi Melbourne 2013

Mar 31, 2014, 15:15

thomas2
thomas2
1700 posts

And what was your first ever gig?

I missed Faith No More (Brixton, 1991-ish), off my list by mistake.

I also saw them at the Phoenix Festival, Stratford-on-Avon, some time in the 1990s. They were superb, and remain one my favourite bands to this day.

Interesting list, hito, thanks

Mar 31, 2014, 15:52

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

thomas2 wrote:
Mine:-

7. New Order, London Finsbury Park Supertent, 1987

10. Elastica, Oxford Jericho Tavern, c. 1993

And your first ever gig? Mine was Howard Jones, Brighton Centre, 1985, I was about 12 years old! I loved it.

Wow, old New Order and Elastica, I'm jealous!

My first was Jawbox at the Chicago Metro when I was around 18 (around 1993 or '94).

Top 10? Hmmm....

Stereolab - of course. Best was probably my first time, when Morghan Lhote was still in the band, probably her last tour with them at the Metro in Chicago.

Portishead (saw them twice, for their 2nd and third albums) - if you ever get a chance, they are fantastic!

Devo

Siouxsie and the Banshees - their last tour when they played their OLD less-popular stuff

The Creatures in St Louis in the mid-90's (she wore black leather is about all I remember)

Foo Fighters at Lollapalooza - they rocked harder than anyone I've ever seen, although I'm not a big hard rock guy

Die Antwoord at Lollapalooza

Thievery Corporation

Underworld at the Metro in Chicago - won't they ever come back? It's been too long!

Peter Hook and the Light at the Double Door in Chicago - playing New Order's first 2 albums along with b-sides in chronological order, complete. My favorite New Order material!

Mar 31, 2014, 17:26

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index