Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your top 10 concerts of all time
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: Your top 10 concerts of all time

My first ever gig was a rock and roll band called Legend (their drummer later joined T Rex) at the Country Club in Belsize Park in about 1970. I'll have to put my thinking cap on to think of my favourite gigs - a lot to choose from. There's no way I'd remember all the years/venues.

Mar 31, 2014, 18:33

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
My first ever gig was a rock and roll band called Legend (their drummer later joined T Rex) at the Country Club in Belsize Park in about 1970.

wrong - I just remembered I saw the Barron Knights who played as interval act at the circus on Wormwood Scrubs Common about 5 years before that (I would have been about 10). I loved the Barron Knights - found the circus fairly boring mostly.

Mar 31, 2014, 18:38

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

Who did the singing, Peter Hook himself? I didn't think much of his singing when he was in "Revenge" way back when.

The current New Order schism is childish and daft. Hook sounded like a bit of a dick last time I heard him interviewed about it, although in mitigation he said he was suffering from an horrendous hangover at the time.

Mar 31, 2014, 22:30

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

'kin 'ell, Harold I wasn't even born!!

Mar 31, 2014, 22:31

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Stereolab – Rock the Garden – Walker Arts Center Sculpture Gardens, Minneapolis, MN – 2000
1st time seeing the Lab after I became officially obsessed. They played with Sonic Youth. It’s a pretty special memory since Mary was there. I remember that I only recognized Metronomic Underground. It made me realize I had much to learn as far as they went.

Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions – Theatre de la Jeune Lune – Mpls, MN -2002
This was pretty exciting since I’d been a long time Mazzy Star fan and was quite impressed with Hope’s solo album. Very dark and moody show. Single spotlights and lots of purple and burgundy backlighting.

Bjork – Red Rocks, Colorado – 2003
Incredibly magical. It had just stormed so you could see storm clouds in the background, lightning, the sunset, the moon….and a rainbow. Bjork is always amazing live.

Beth Gibbons – Fitzgerald Theater – St Paul, MN – 2003
The torchiest performance I’ve seen to date. She performed her entire solo album and the Velvet Underground’s “Candy Says” was the encore. Devastating perfection.

Broadcast – 400 Bar – Mpls, MN – 2004
HaHa Sound was such an exciting album. I showed up more than 2 hours beforehand and claimed my space right in front of the small stage. I’d seen them the year prior, but this show was amazing. The drummer was jaw-droppingly good and it was so thrilling to have Trish performing just a couple feet away from me.

Grizzly Bear – Pabst Theater – Milwaukee, WI – 2009
Beautiful theater with a very haunting light show. The band had really tightened up their act and brought the house down. It was a really fun weekend trip. I love Milwaukee.

Leonard Cohen – Orpheum Theater – Mpls, MN – 2009
Such a legend. I felt so privileged to see him perform. It was the most I’d ever paid to see a concert. It was well worth it. He played over 2 and half hours. Such a gentleman.

Beach House – Cedar Cultural Centers – Mpls, MN – 2010
It was the height of Teen Dream fame and it was just an all around kick-ass performance. I usually am somewhat anxious for shows to end (even when I like the band), but this was one that I wished could’ve gone on for hours. Victoria is mesmerizing in person.

Hot Chip & Chromatics – First Avenue – Mpls, MN -2012
This show was on the last day at the worst job I’ve ever had. I was elated because of that and I love both of the bands. Chromatics performed their cover of Running Up That Hill and Hot Chip was just a blast. I’d had 3 gin martinis beforehand so that helped. I met the Chromatics later on and they were all very sweet. Got my LP signed and such.

Laetitia Sadier – 400 Bar – Mpls, MN - 2012
Super small show at and small venue. I met some really cool people beforehand with great music taste. Laetitia’s performance was endearing and intimate. She was lovely to the crowd. Visiting with her afterwards was the best. I could hardly sleep that night because I was so happy about what a wonderful evening it was.

Most annoying – EVERY Cat Power show I’ve ever been to. God, THAT woman.

2005-2008 are somewhat of a blur w/o my ticket scrapbook.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:14

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

thomas2 wrote:
Who did the singing, Peter Hook himself? I didn't think much of his singing when he was in "Revenge" way back when.

The current New Order schism is childish and daft. Hook sounded like a bit of a dick last time I heard him interviewed about it, although in mitigation he said he was suffering from an horrendous hangover at the time.

I was a little worried about the singing as well before I went, but he fared pretty well! I was surprised and impressed.

He's really doing something great for the Joy Division/New Order fans who weren't around to see these old songs performed years ago. How great would it be if Stereolab came back around performing all their stuff completely in chronological order with b-sides? Or any band that you're a fan of, really?

Mar 31, 2014, 23:15

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

meanchico wrote:

Beth Gibbons – Fitzgerald Theater – St Paul, MN – 2003
The torchiest performance I’ve seen to date. She performed her entire solo album and the Velvet Underground’s “Candy Says” was the encore. Devastating perfection.

Hot Chip & Chromatics – First Avenue – Mpls, MN -2012
This show was on the last day at the worst job I’ve ever had. I was elated because of that and I love both of the bands. Chromatics performed their cover of Running Up That Hill and Hot Chip was just a blast. I’d had 3 gin martinis beforehand so that helped. I met the Chromatics later on and they were all very sweet. Got my LP signed and such.

I'm jealous of the Beth Gibbons show, especially since the Velvet Underground is one of my all-time favorite bands.

I saw Hot Chip at Lollapalooza. Pretty fun, indeed.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:18

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

I saw CP once at Shepherd's Bush Empire, supporting Dirty Three. Chatted to her in the bar beforehand, she was absolutely lovely. But I know what you mean. It was rickety to say the least. She was hammered nearly all the time.

I also saw her later on the "Greatest" tour, with that band she had, they helped her keep it together and the show was excellent, it was at The Barbican in London.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:27

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I'm pretty sure there's a recorded live version that was a b-side. you should try and find it. it's a wonderful cover!

Mar 31, 2014, 23:28

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

It would be fab. But would anyone be able to emulate Ian Curtis? I've seen Barney singing JD songs with New Order and it's just.. not the same

Mar 31, 2014, 23:28

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index