Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your top 10 concerts of all time
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Re: Your top 10 concerts of all time

the first time I saw her she didn't get through one song w/o breaking down crying or just stopping because she felt like it.

the second time she hid behind her long hair for the entire performance. she chewed out several people for getting up to use the restroom (theater performance) or just leaving because they didn't appreciate her bratty antics. lots of tears during that show as well. I knew someone backstage and they said she was pounding the trazedone and Maker's Mark like nothing else. also had front row seats which was crazy awkward.

the third time she was over 2 and half hours late. the venue was shitty and had no seating so my legs were killing me. she didn't even get through the first song. she had to chew out an approved reporter for taking pics for a local publication. the performance was much better than I'd seen before, but it was a breaking point for me. I don't think I'll ever see her again.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:33

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

she's supposed to have turned a corner w.r.t. her drinking, i.e. she doesn't do it as much, but I can see why you're never gonna give her another chance. those 3 you outlined sounded like trademark CP train wrecks.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:35

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

it's really a shame since she's such an amazing artist. I love the majority of her output.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:37

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

yeah me too. today I made a CP best of CD to listen to in the car. I love her studio stuff.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:38

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

First and best gig was Oasis at Irvine Beach, 1995.

Oasis in Aberdeen on the Be Here Now tour was the most excited I've ever been in my life. That telephone box (you had to be there).

The 2 Morrissey gigs I've seen in Manchester were outstanding.

Pixies at T in the Park.

New Order in 2012 - wow.

Sonic Youth in NYC.

I'm really jealous of some folks gig experiences! I wish I'd gone to gigs in my teens.

I really regret not getting Stone Roses tix in 1990. And I wish I'd seen Ride back then too. And the Pumpkins in their pomp.

And Stereolab!!

Mar 31, 2014, 23:56

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

Labhead wrote:

Peter Hook and the Light at the Double Door in Chicago - playing New Order's first 2 albums along with b-sides in chronological order, complete. My favorite New Order material!

I caught that tour, too! Hook wasn't a great singer, but he was obviously having a great time and his band sounded really good. It was part of a festival, so Moby came on for the encore to sing 'Transmission' and 'Dead Souls'. I'm not always a big Moby fan, but he really killed it.

Apr 01, 2014, 05:20

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

I saw Ride, at the Oxford Apollo, supported by the Boo Radleys. Both bands were SHITE. So don't regret that one, Gaz!!!

Apr 01, 2014, 08:12

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

thomas2 wrote:
I saw Ride, at the Oxford Apollo, supported by the Boo Radleys. Both bands were SHITE. So don't regret that one, Gaz!!!

Sounds like the best night ever!!

Apr 01, 2014, 11:46

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

I never liked Ride. Or for that matter MBV. I know, I know, there must be something wrong with me.

Apr 01, 2014, 19:17

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

Kraftwerk, Tribal Gathering 1997: One of the most exciting shows I've ever been to, Kraftwerk's first live performance in years at a crazy all night event with many different arenas, my favourite of which was the Detroit tent (Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, Aux 88 etc) plus other highlights Dave Clarke, Orbital, Dave Angel, etc. If there was one gig I could time travel back to re~experience I think this might be this. Simply great vibes in those days, never to be repeated! Music scenes change with the times, those were surely amongst the greatest ones I experienced.

Magma: Alhambra theatre Paris, 2009: Saw Magma 4 times in a short period that year in Paris, Lille and London. This show was the most intense, simply incredible.

Stereolab, East Kilbride Arts Centre, 1999: Saw the groop I think 6 times, first on the day Dots & Loops came out but my favourite was when they visited this small council run facility in my hometown, in a tiny venue more used to unknown local bands and amateur dramatics productions, etc. I was amazed to see them there and they played a great set!

Broadcast, King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, Glasgow, ?: I saw Broadcast quite a few times, this was the most intense performance for me. I think somewhere between Noise Made by People and Haha Sound. The drummer and the whole band were incredible.

The Magic Band, Autechre curated ATP festival, 2003: The lineup for this was ace and right up my street at the time (https://www.atpfestival.com/events/atpautechre/lineup.php). But the thing that swung it for a bunch of us to go down was the reformation of the Magic Band. A legendary weekend and performance!

Any gig I every saw at the Barras. One of the best venues and atmospheres you could find anywhere in the world, IMHO. Highlights included (kind of, as best memory allows) chronologically Sepultura, Slayer, The Orb, Orbital, Hawkwind, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Fugazi, Sonic Youth, PWEI, Beastie Boys, Bjork, Pavement, Ministry, Motorhead, Hawkwind, Aphex Twin, MBV, Morrisey, and many many more!

Gong, Renfrew Ferry, Glasgow, 2000: First time time I saw the Gong live. Great show, fun times!

Love performs "Forever Changes", ABC, Glasgow ?: This show was awesome, Arthur Lee leading a young "Love" (Baby Lemonade?) through Forever Changes in entirety, plus a few extra classic songs. There was a full horn / string section and the performance was electric. Poigant too as he passed just a year or two later....

I've gone well past ten I guess and barely scratched the surface, but those were the ones that sprang immediately to mind. My first ever gig was the highly embarrassing Brit~rock bores "Thunder" supported by the equally tragic "No Sweat", but it was at the Barras so great atmosphere and one of my first "carry~outs" :D I only went because some guys from my school were going, was a fun adventure! I feel I redeemed myself somewhat a week later when I saw "Dread Zeppelin" in the college of building and printing. That was something else!

Apr 02, 2014, 17:40

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index