Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your top 10 concerts of all time
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2135 posts

Re: Your top 10 concerts of all time

thomas2 wrote:
And what was your first ever gig?

I missed Faith No More (Brixton, 1991-ish), off my list by mistake.

I also saw them at the Phoenix Festival, Stratford-on-Avon, some time in the 1990s. They were superb, and remain one my favourite bands to this day.

Angel Dust is a superb album. The Real Thing I can't really listen to any more, too dated / cheesy somehow (was a huge fan as a teen though). I was at a Phoenix festival too, great weekend! My first festival :D Not sure which year, but I remember the lineup included PWEI, the Wedding Present, Pulp, Public Enemy, possibly Iggy Pop....? I went down mostly for the "Megadog" tent which had a bunch of good electronic stuff of the time like the Orb, Eat Static, Banco De Gaia etc....lost most of the weekend there :)

Apr 02, 2014, 18:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

Hobobachang wrote:

I've gone well past ten

SHOW OFF

Apr 02, 2014, 23:10

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2135 posts

thomas2 wrote:
Hobobachang wrote:

I've gone well past ten

SHOW OFF

This thread by it's very nature invites people to show off ;D

Honestly though, gig going used to be a weekly occurrence for me so there were way too many to narrow it down. Guess I was spoiled living in Glasgow, it's probably second only to London in UK for there always being something I would want to go and see. I sure do miss that now I'm here in the middle east! In the past two years I've only managed three shows, so suffering withdrawals (Hawkwind ~ Glasgow, on holiday, Sarah Brightman (!) and recently Herbie Hancock, which was outstanding!).

Apr 03, 2014, 05:38

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

Sarah Brightman!? WTF?

Apr 03, 2014, 07:28

hito
hito
1745 posts

Hobobachang wrote:

Angel Dust is a superb album. The Real Thing I can't really listen to any more, too dated / cheesy somehow (was a huge fan as a teen though).

I was just listening to it again lately. It is probably one of my all time favourites but I haven't listened to it in years. For me, I think King for a day almost equals it. King for a day is superb. The only thing missing is Jim Martin's guitar sound. Of course, the weird thing is that Martin hated a lot of Angel Dust.
I saw Mr Bungle around the time of Disco Volante. I don't think they were nearly as good as FNM - both on record and in the studio. Too obtuse. I think Mike Patton really lost me when he released too many records in the early 2000s.
Back to FNM, it amazes me that they are back together. I saw them play at Alternative Nation and they seemed pretty acrimonious. I did meet a member (who will remain nameless) once and talked to him for ages. He was such a regular guy. He gave me to tickets to their show because I wasn't sure if I wanted to see them. He said it was no skin off his nose to give away tickets. One for Gary, he said that they didn't get along with Sonic Youth they were excluded from so many festivals. He listed a series of events that they were excluded from because they weren't friends with these kings of alt music.

Apr 03, 2014, 14:32

hito
hito
1745 posts

I saw her at least thrice and have been either bored, nonplussed or ok with it but not really happy. She did shows around the time of Moon pix and you are free and did almost none of the songs from them. She just mumbled through blues songs. Strangely, the thing that made her appealing was listening to her play live in the studio on RRR. She was a mixture of childish charm and powerful woman. Like many things in life, nothing lives up to the first time.

Apr 03, 2014, 14:36

hito
hito
1745 posts

thomas2 wrote:
And what was your first ever gig?

I think it was U2 after Rattle and Hum. I loved it. They had BB King supporting and his band was good too.

The first "alternative" band that I saw at a pub and "moshed" was The Hoodoo Gurus. They were awesome. It was actually after the release of the first single from album after Magnum Cum Louder but they were still ripping out these songs. I went home ringing wet, stinking of smoke and happy. I still have the t-shirt.

Apr 03, 2014, 14:54

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

hito wrote:
I went home ringing wet, stinking of smoke and happy. I still have the t-shirt.

Them was the days!!!

Apr 03, 2014, 17:02

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2135 posts

thomas2 wrote:
Sarah Brightman!? WTF?

Heheh, I know....the missus is a big fan. I figured I was dragging her to see Herbie Hancock, so it was only fair that I'd go along to this :) I approached with an open mind, and actually enjoyed a lot of it! Never been into all that Lloyd Webber stuff, but she played a lot of different things (even a Cocteau Twins cover, she has gone somewhat "ethereal" of late) and there were many genuine moments of beauty. There is no denying she has a really powerful voice. Proper lavish stage production too, this wasn't the show I was at but virtually identical:

Apr 03, 2014, 17:45

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

I'm sure she appreciated you going. I did the same for my GF last year, went to see 30 Seconds To Mars with her, for her, in Birmingham. She's moist for Jared Leto - who was I to refuse?

Apr 03, 2014, 19:05

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index