Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your top 10 concerts of all time
50 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Re: Your top 10 concerts of all time

Stereolab – Rock the Garden – Walker Arts Center Sculpture Gardens, Minneapolis, MN – 2000
1st time seeing the Lab after I became officially obsessed. They played with Sonic Youth. It’s a pretty special memory since Mary was there. I remember that I only recognized Metronomic Underground. It made me realize I had much to learn as far as they went.

Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions – Theatre de la Jeune Lune – Mpls, MN -2002
This was pretty exciting since I’d been a long time Mazzy Star fan and was quite impressed with Hope’s solo album. Very dark and moody show. Single spotlights and lots of purple and burgundy backlighting.

Bjork – Red Rocks, Colorado – 2003
Incredibly magical. It had just stormed so you could see storm clouds in the background, lightning, the sunset, the moon….and a rainbow. Bjork is always amazing live.

Beth Gibbons – Fitzgerald Theater – St Paul, MN – 2003
The torchiest performance I’ve seen to date. She performed her entire solo album and the Velvet Underground’s “Candy Says” was the encore. Devastating perfection.

Broadcast – 400 Bar – Mpls, MN – 2004
HaHa Sound was such an exciting album. I showed up more than 2 hours beforehand and claimed my space right in front of the small stage. I’d seen them the year prior, but this show was amazing. The drummer was jaw-droppingly good and it was so thrilling to have Trish performing just a couple feet away from me.

Grizzly Bear – Pabst Theater – Milwaukee, WI – 2009
Beautiful theater with a very haunting light show. The band had really tightened up their act and brought the house down. It was a really fun weekend trip. I love Milwaukee.

Leonard Cohen – Orpheum Theater – Mpls, MN – 2009
Such a legend. I felt so privileged to see him perform. It was the most I’d ever paid to see a concert. It was well worth it. He played over 2 and half hours. Such a gentleman.

Beach House – Cedar Cultural Centers – Mpls, MN – 2010
It was the height of Teen Dream fame and it was just an all around kick-ass performance. I usually am somewhat anxious for shows to end (even when I like the band), but this was one that I wished could’ve gone on for hours. Victoria is mesmerizing in person.

Hot Chip & Chromatics – First Avenue – Mpls, MN -2012
This show was on the last day at the worst job I’ve ever had. I was elated because of that and I love both of the bands. Chromatics performed their cover of Running Up That Hill and Hot Chip was just a blast. I’d had 3 gin martinis beforehand so that helped. I met the Chromatics later on and they were all very sweet. Got my LP signed and such.

Laetitia Sadier – 400 Bar – Mpls, MN - 2012
Super small show at and small venue. I met some really cool people beforehand with great music taste. Laetitia’s performance was endearing and intimate. She was lovely to the crowd. Visiting with her afterwards was the best. I could hardly sleep that night because I was so happy about what a wonderful evening it was.

Most annoying – EVERY Cat Power show I’ve ever been to. God, THAT woman.

2005-2008 are somewhat of a blur w/o my ticket scrapbook.

Mar 31, 2014, 23:14

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: